1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is burning at 4x ok?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by jim2011, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jim2011

jim2011 Member

I just got the new pstwo slimline but have not got swap magic yet. I'm wondering if burning at 4x on Ritek G05's is ok. My xbox reads them perfectly, would that work for ps2 as well?

2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

It seems to be different for lots of people. Some say it works ok. But for me personally, I burn everytime at 1x and get perfect backups. Ya figure the slower the burn, the less likely to see errors or skips.

3. offboz

offboz Member

I've burned about 50 dvd's for the ps2 allways using the fastest speed. I have had no errors to date. Sony DVD +r at 4x ( 4x disks ) and Maxell's 8x +r at 8x. I have also printed and surfed the web while burning ( USB Burner and USB Printer )
    I'm sure someday i'll get a bad disk , but I will probably contiue to enjoy full speed burning.

Personaly I think bad media is the only reason you would want to burn slower.

SCPH50001
    Liteon LDW-851SX 8x for +r 4x for -r 2.4x for rw
    Athlon64 3200+ with a gig of ram
    Hdadvance ( and I never ever ever get a read error )

4. CoorsLite

CoorsLite Guest

how much did you guys spend on your dvd burners. i get ps2 games for $3.00 with free shipping

5. ducatis

ducatis Guest

I bought my dvd burner for about $200 when they were only new and no-one had them. I burn at 1X because all PS2's react to disc's differently. so i would burn at 1X with good media then you know you get a good copy.

6. offboz

offboz Member

Your all just a bunch of nervous nellies.
    I paid extra for a fast burner, I would refuse to suffer at a slower speed. It would be un-American.
    I still from time to time kiss my Lite-On LDW851S (external), a loving peck from time to time to show my appreciation.

I did go thru about 50 Ritek cheapy computer show
    specials, just about everyone a coaster burned at 1x , 2.4x maxX ... I would get "Media might have changed" error in the Alcohol 120% log. I was allmost in tears with a lap full of wasted media.

now I get Sony or Maxell +R
    The Sony model from the spindel label is 50PR47LS2 and its purplish label. I lost the Maxel label, I think i threw it out with a pizza. AnyWho
    Both $19.99 for 50 at Best Buy.

7. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

BURNER BEWARE

Media uses the speed rating at not only a maximum speed but a warning that media is made to operate at least near that speed. If you are running 8X discs in a 4X writer at 1X prepare for some really really bad burns. There is a reason the disc says 4X and your drive says 4X, they are meant to run that fast. In the case of some media (Ritek for example) they are optimal at that speed. Believe me or not the G04s will last longer and run better if burned at 4X. These can be burned at 8X on a faster burner but it is not made to do that so beware you may get bad burns. All those that say 1X just to be safe actually have it somewhat backwards.

Probably the safest way to do it is to get all the speeds of what you use (burner, disc) then whichever is slowest burn at 50% that speed. I.E. 4X discs 4X drive = burn at 2X. or 8X drive 2X discs = burn at 1X. This is because rating on media is somewhat of a suggestion.

Oh yeah and dont buy 8X+ burners if you dont have a processor that can keep up, look into these things dont just assume they work.

Ludikhris

8. offboz

offboz Member

So which one is it? Meant to run that fast or use half speed? Speed wise it would matter in how fast the cd material reacts to the laser , so burning at 1x on a disk made for 8x might not be better after all, it might make a large and blurry pit and the little spaces around the pit might not be as defined.

9. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Its both. For some people that use media not deemed comaptible with there burner that shouldnt run full speed. They should only run half. What the point really was is that it can actually be bad to run at 1X if you burner is 8X or faster because they are not meant to go that slow. My experience with my burner shows that 8X discs burn like crap at 1X and they burn pretty good at 4X. So moral of the story is buy media that your drive likes, dont be cheap. If your media and drive are happy burn at top speed and feel confident you are making great backups. Get cheap and you should burn half speed.

Ludikhris