1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Burning dvds at 8x write speed harmful to my dvd burner???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dipset121, May 4, 2005.

1. dipset121

dipset121 Regular member

Is Burning dvds at 8x write speed harmful to my dvd burner??? I have successfully burned about 10 dvds so far with no problems, Im just asking this question because im curious to no the answer can anyone help?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well just like any other machine, the faster you run it the faster it will wear out. Your burner is built to burn at this speed though and with normal use should last at least as long as the warranty period.
    Slower burn speeds can reduce the chance of write errors and is usually recommended. I personally burn everything as fast as it will burn. I know what the risks are though and also I only keep a burner for a few months anyhow.

3. davewood

davewood Guest

I always burn at x6 speed and get no errors i find burning at the max disk speed produces bad burn areas on the disk, its a bit hit and miss really some may be ok and some are not the only disks that burn well at x8 are the pink aritas, but the moral of the story is, if your own method works then stick to it.as for how long does your burner last, well how longs a piece of string mine lasts about 3 months, i done relate it to how fast it burns to how long it lasts its all down to how many disks you actually burn on the machine, all new drives now have a clock in there firm ware so you can actually see how may burns you are getting for your money, i only got 1234 burns on my emprex £32 burner from pc world, yet i got 2344 ish on my pioneer 108 £48) so its all down to price and a lot of luck good luck in anything you do

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Technically speaking, no... with that being said; if your dvd burner/writer is capable of the speed, then it shouldn't be a problem. The only downside of burning 8X and faster is that you might slightly have a few errors due to the media when writing too fast. However, keep in mind that when backing up movies at 8 or higher speed, try to use top medias like Fuji, Maxell, TY, Verbatim and TDK then you'll be alright. I've done tons of 8X in the past and currently still burn with 8X flawlessly. I've tried a couple of times with 12X and I haven't seen any issues yet. In addition to quality wise - this, I can't tell any differences at all (i.e. 4X, 6X, 8X, 12X they're look the same.) The good side of burning at higher speed is that it's quicker in times of waiting when burning or backing up movies. In contrast, your burner is like a car engine, the more you drive and the higher speed you fly by, then it is more likely to break down someday or accidents is more likely to happen.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi davewood....How do I access that clock in my firmware? I didn't know you could do that.

Another thing that will make them last longer is keeping them clean. Don't leave the tray open and make sure your media is always covered.

6. amewborn

amewborn Guest

I have experienced error in playback.. I couldn't make out why but now I have been using 8x dvds I think that is why because I hadn't before when using the 4x which my burner can burn up to 8x though.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Burning at 8x can be more problematic for the disc, but shouldnt be any more problematic for the writer. I have over 1,000 burns at 8x and a few hundred at 16X. Life expectancy on my DVR107, which is still going strong over 1,000 burns later, is good...

Chris

8. amewborn

amewborn Guest

ok.. I just burn one using the 4x speed and it did just fine. Thanks

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Chris,
    It's been a long time. Good to see you back!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cheers Frank, ill try to post more often lol, its only been er....about 8 months or so....loads have happened. Hope yur keeping well mate. No doubt you'll see me popping about now and again. Was expecting you to be an addict by now lol :D

Chris

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I took a few months off myself to get my website up and running. I'll be an addict soon enough. I'm in no hurry though. I don't think the pay improves.

Even herbsman popped in again just the other day as well after an extended absence.

Where is your site Chris?

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

My site is gone gone gone lol, couldnt be bothered making the payments, and there was no point hosting it free because of the bandwidth needed. I also had a full DVD region free codes for standalone players up and running. Still got all the gear, maybe ill get it sorted again some day soon - i was gaying over 50,000 page hits a day at one time lol.

Herbsman lol, havent heard from him in a long time...

Chris