1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is creating an image necessary prior to burning?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by esgee, Mar 16, 2004.

1. esgee

esgee Member

So far DVDs I've burnt using DVD Shrink and Ulead Burn software plays back perfectly on my Philips DVD player but unable to play them back on my PC using either PowerDVD or Ulead DVD player software.

Do I need to create a DVD image ( using ImgTool ? ) of the DVD Shrink-ed DVD prior to burning? So far, I've only burnt the DVD Shrink-ed video_TS files using Ulead Burn without creating a DVD image...Does this make any difference to playback compatibility?

I downloaded ImgTool Classic yesterday and created an image of a DVD Shrink-ed movie for burning. I proceeded to burn this image as outlined in one of the guides I read...however, the burnt DVD would not play back in either my standalone DVD player nor in my DVD drive on my PC.

I believe the image was an ISO file? Why doesn't it playback? Should I just burn the Video_TS files created with DVD Shrink (without creating an image using ImgTool) directly to DVD as this seems to work in most standalone DVD players??? Please help...

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you shouldn't need to create an image. Usually, people have problems playing the movie back on their dvd players not their computers. Just to make sure, you do know how to play movies on your computer right?

3. esgee

esgee Member

Normally, when I pop a commercially puchased DVD into my DVD drive, I get asked if I would like to play it back using PowerDVD, Ulead DVD Player etc...after I select one of the above options the movie plays back. However, when I pop in one of my burnt DVDs, I am instead presented with a 'folder' I copied the movie in...where do I go from here? Why doesn't it playback like a commercial disk?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

hmm, might just be the way ulead burns. You should be able to open it in powerdvd though. click on the button that lets you choose the source (sorry if im a little off on directions, its not installed on the computer im using). Click on play files from hd. then browse the dvd and click on the video_ts file.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Welcome there esgee,

I suggest a media change - I suggest Ritek G04 or Verbatim - anything that's "Advanced Metal AZO" although "pricey" is fine also.

Cheap media can cause the problem that you're experiencing :-(

It is a fact, quality media makes the backup :p)

Try it, you'll be suprised -

Pete

6. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi guys,

As Pete already stated, using good media will always be worth the few bucks more. Nevertheless in this case I don't think it's a media issue, since your standalone player was able to play the disc but your computer didn't - usually it's the other way as sly mentioned.

I've never used Ulead so I can't comment on that, but I've used ImgTool together with Shrink and all my discs play perfectly on the computer, just like the originals.

So you used DVD Shrink to create the VIDEO_TS folder containing the compressed movie files. Then you open ImgTool classic and created the .ISO file.
    What did you use to burn this image to the disc with? I always use DVD Decrypter - ImgTool Classic has a built in interface with DVD Decrypter so if you have Decrypter installed it should open automatically and burn the disc - is this the way you did it?

By the way - do you have the VIDEO_TS folder like this all in capitals? If it's not, then this might the reason why it's not working as it should. Also an empty AUDIO_TS folder is usually also included, although this is not mandatory.

Well I hope you get it figured out...

7. esgee

esgee Member

Thanks guys for handy tips...

I have been using media from Verbatim, TDK & Fuji but none of these will play back on my computer. They all work fine in my standalone DVD player... PowerDVD reports that I have an 'unsupported format' when I try to play the burnt disks.

I use DVD Shrink to create the VIDEO_TS files and Ulead to burn them onto disks. Disks made this way will at least play back on my standalone DVD player.

When I created a DVD image (with imgTool) of the VIDEO_TS file and burnt the resultant image using Ulead, the disk created does not play in either my PC nor my standalone DVD player...? And I thought this was the correct procedure to do things???

Should I try burning with DVD Decrypter or Nero (haven't got Nero yet...)instead?

8. larryjam

larryjam Member

Try using DVD Decrypter, after installing Decrypter, open ImgTool, under Settings, choose to burn the image with Decrypter, the two programs work together almost as one.

I use these with DVDShrink, and Iam batting 1000 after backing up about 2 dozens of my favorite flicks.

Good Luck

9. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi esgee,

As larryjam already mentioned, DVD Decrypter is the right tool to burn the image with. The result on the final disc will again be the VIDEO_TS folder with all its content. If Ulead just burns the .iso or .img files to the disc as data, then it won't work on any players.

So do it like larry said, download DVD Decrypter, install it, and in ImgTool Classic options set the burn with DVD Decrypter option on. Then after ImgTool has finished it will automatically open Decrypter and burn the image to the disc. Afterwards you just delete the image files so that it won't fill up your harddrive. This method should give you a disc that plays both in standalone players and in your computer just like the originals. Hope it works for you! Keep us posted! :)

10. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

or you could try the newest dvd shrink and newest dvd decrypter. when you push backup, under target device, choose iso disc image. then a box will come up letting you burn with dvd decrypter. it shrinks (if needed) and burns all in one step.

11. esgee

esgee Member

Thanks guys! PROBLEM SORTED...

I EXTRACTED the VIDEO_TS file from the folder created by DVD Shrink and burnt it with Ulead and it WORKS !!! Now the disks play back on both my PC and standalone player, just like a bought one !

Previously, I made the mistake of burning the entire folder the VIDEO_TS file was contained in, after removing the AUDIO_TS file from the folder...

I will try burning with DVD Decrypter too since I'm hearing positive recommendations...

12. dubz

dubz Member

yeah, its pretty weird, i just copied my first dvd yesterday. all i did was used nero to create a .nrg image copy of the disc then burned the image onto a dvd+rw disc (i burned it onto one of these in case it messed up i wouldnt waste a dvd-r) and i had the same thing happen it would play back just like a store bought dvd in my stand alone but not be recognized in my computer.. also it freezes up some in my stand alone player. so many tools do the same thing, think there should be an industry standard lol.