1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DRM or copy protected music a think of the past?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by keithbx, Feb 28, 2005.

1. keithbx

keithbx Member

I AM A NEWBIE BUT MY FRIEND HAS THIS PROGRAM THAT LETS HIM RECORD ANYTHING THAT IS PLAYED ON HIS COMPUTER. I THOUGHT IT WAS A JOKE BUT I INSTALLED THE PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER WENT TO AOL MUSICNET AND DOWNLOADED A COUPLE OF SONGS. NOW THESE SONGS ARE COPY PROTECTED BUT I OPEN UP THE PROGRAM TO COPY PLAYED THE SONGS IN MUSICNET AND WHALLA! I HAD MADE A COPY OF THE DRM OR PROTECTED MUSIC. MY FRIEND SAID IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SOUND CARD OR SOMETHING(I DON'T KNOW) BUT I DO KNOW THAT I CAN GET ANY SONG FOR FREE LEGALLY JUST BY LISTENING TO IT ON MY COMPUTER WITH THE PROGRAM RUNNING.
    I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IS THIS SOMETHING NEW OR HAVE YOU GUYS KNOWN ABOUBT THIS FLAW IN DRM?

THANKS

KEITH CEARS

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

[bold]Please never ever type in all caps again please![/bold] Also, its not a flaw in the DRM. If something can be played it can be copied. The technology has be around since Windows 95 when windows recorder was in the accessories list of the start menu.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management.
    Playing back through your soundcard and recording analog, the ol' fashioned way, sidesteps the protection.
    The quality, however, degrades a little bit with each copy...
    Just like it did in the 1980's :)
    L8R

4. keithbx

keithbx Member

Hey thanks for the comment.
    Do you know another way to get around DRM?

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No. Recording the analog signal isn't getting around DRM. DRM doesn't cover analog signals. It you want a way to do it with software then that would be illegal and not a Fair-Use practice. Don't post anything about illegal activities or conpiricy to do such activities please.

6. keithbx

keithbx Member

for your info. i didn't say illegal.
    case inpoint. winamp player can record streaming songs legally.

thank you!

7. keithbx

keithbx Member

futhermore. once you record the music you can aave it as an mp3.so what do you mean analog?

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I didn't say recording the music was illegal. You asked
    GEtting around DRM is illegal. Recording music, even public broadcasts, to your HDD isn't illegal (especially if you paid for it). Its called Fair-Use-Right.

DRM ([bold]Digital[/bold] Rights Managment) is in most cases controlled by using some form of encryption-and-license scheme. If you buy the DRM media you are intitled to make a copy for yourself incase the original gets destroyed (unless the End-User License Agreement prohibits such actions; ie Napster).

Now, when you pass the signal through your sound card to you PC speakers you are creating or converting digital data into an analog signal. When you record using a software player you are still doing this only the soundcard creates a cuitcut back to the line-in ciucutry. Thats why you get analog results and degraded sound quality.
    When the signal comes back to the PC it is saved as either a WAVE or other lossy audio format (ie Mp3).

The illegal digital proccess I am warning you not to ask about would intale converting a file download from Napster or iTunes which have DRM protection into a DRM-less Mp3 file. This type of thing would not be in-line with the Fair-Use-Rights Act. Its just like defeating Micro-Vision protection on VHS tapes or CSS encryption on DVDs, its illegal (even though Micro-Vision is analog). Recording [bold]YOUR[/bold] TV screen with a camcorder would be an analogy for the record to your HDD method that we are talking about (not a movie screen).

Wow! that was a lot of typing, thankz to whoever reads this entire spelling error ridden tirade of a post,
    Ced

9. keithbx

keithbx Member

mr smartman, there is an old saying "try it you might like it." I found an article about winamp and how it is not illegal but a easy to do technology that lets your record anything on your computer. the "bigwigs" are trying to down play this easy to do recording of streaming or recording while you listen music but the truth is it can hurt what we know as DRM.
    see for youself mr know it all http://www.betanews.com/article/AOL_Updates_Winamp_After_DRM_Snafu/1108766330

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You ask us for help Keith, and then you make fun of us for being know-it-all...?
    Before there was digital there was no need for DRM.
    They need to protect digital content because the 100th generation copy of a copy does not degrade.
    There are ways around it of course, and the Analog solution is the obvious one (and least likely to keep them awake at night) so just do it quietly ;-)
    Talk of 'beating DRM' however, would technically be a bit of an exaggeration - and draws unwelcome and unnecessary heat to AD from people searching this stuff on Google or whatever.
    Now; that said, you can capture all kinds of audio into WAVs - Cassettes, LPs, Radio, even the 24-hour Reggae my buddy gets on his Bell ExpressVue satellite rig.
    He can burn it to CD or achive it to MP3, but he's not getting Digital Audio quality.
    Personally I have high-end audio and stick to factory CDs. I can make unprotected MP3s quickly & easily, the kind that still float around on Peer2Peer networks.
    But trying to capture these Streaming Audio sites is exactly what they are designed to prevent you from doing!
    And we simply commented that, yes you can do it but it doesn't really 'satisfy'...
    Not to mention that recording stuff in real-time is very slow work and time-consuming - just like the 80's :)
    Regards

11. keithbx

keithbx Member

Sorry for the comment if anyone was insulted.
    I get it now about what you guys are saying.
    thank you kindly,
    keith

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thank you (to) The_OGS! I can be wordy. (keithbx)That artical is about politics not law. AOL doesn't want to look bad. They also don't want to be the ones Napster goes after to decide if software desingd to record audio streams is illegal or not.

Lastly (and FYI) I have written a guide that discribes how to do such activites not using Winamp!

My regards,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  13. keithbx

keithbx Member

thanks Diabolos

but you know what the difference in sound quality is so little that its just fine with me. I joined napster trial for 14 days and i am having fun just downloading songs as many as a i can before my 14 days are over.
    All I can say is Horray! for napster and any other Legal online store that lets you download songs before buy yippie!

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats why I prefer iTunes. You can burn the songs to disc (using iTunes) ang then rip the disc. Its faster and you get excellent sound quality.

Napster sounds dumb. They let you download all you want during a trial period, WTF?

15. keithbx

keithbx Member

Just to add to what you said about Napster, when I downloaded a song(i have that free trial :) ) I recorded the song with the sound card and you know what? Not only did I get the song to mp3 but I have an mp3 that displays the album cover and whaalaa there was an album cover!
    All I can say is WOW! if it takes me 6 hours to record 100 songs I am all for it

Hip Hip Horray for Napster!

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

17. keithbx

keithbx Member

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I got that CD over a week ago (via [bold]Shareaza[/bold])! LOL but thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005