1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

As good as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink work , I don't know why a person would try to use anything else anyway !!!

2. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

ScubaPete, no I haven't tried it yet with not unchecking any of the 2 channel English audio. As for my player defaults, all I know is that the DMR-HS2 is capable of playing both Dolby 5.1 and Dolby Digital, I think the Dolby Digital is the 5.1-CH DTS setting.

I'm getting ready to try Shink & Decrypter right now on I,Robot. I've already ripped it to my hard drive using Shrink, there's so many extras and menu's to choose from I don't know which one(s) to choose!

I've ordered 10 Ritek G05 disks from Meritline but for now until I start to understand both the processs and the information on a DVD disk, I'm using store bought DVD+RW's. Once I get a successful burn to play on my computer, I'll put in a DVD-R and follow the exact sme procedure and post my results.

Thanks for the help guys, Mike

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  3. Brax

Brax Member

Videophiles;

A couple of questions that I hope you can suggest an answer to.

First, I was quite satisfied with my DVDXCOPY Platinum 4.0.8. and DVD43 untill I began hitting one or two discs that I couldn't back up.

I found this site, and have benefited from the advice contained herein. I have used DVD Decrypter along with DVD Shrink and the guides one of you upper echelon I.Q. chaps posted.

I purchased and am using ANYDVD and was able to successfully back up "Forgotten."

I have purchased the latest Nero Ultra, but have not received it yet.

Queston 1: I tried two different sources to back up 24 Season 3, disc 3. Both came up with "read errors," and on try I let DVD Decrypter run over 8 hours, with over 28,000 tries finding over 1,400 errors.

The same essential problem happened with Dukes of Hazzard, Season One, disc 1a.

Now, the interesting thing is that each of these discs will play without problems on my DVD player.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Question 2: I clean my DVD player frequently with a disc made for such purpose. Can I use the same disc for my DVD burner?

Thanks again,

Brax

4. brobear

brobear Guest

CD Cleaners will work in DVD players. However they now have the same type for DVD that gives a check on the video as well as audio. Hope that takes care of the problem. Sort of seems unlikely if the problem is only occurring with particular discs.

Download DVDinfoPro and check your source for errors. Standalone players will sometimes play discs that will lock up a PC. If you reset Decrypter to skip errors, you could easily end up eliminating needed files, so I shy away from that setting. I use AnyDVD along with Decrypter, it helps process some sector protection type encryption.

What does the info page from AnyDVD say about the encryption on the discs that are causing the problem?

5. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

I have been able to backup "Forgotten", "I-Robot" and many others that give error problems with DVD Shrink by running DVD Decrypter, saving the movie in a temp folder on the hard drive, and then then rearthoring with DVD Shrink and burning with DVD Decrypter!!

6. Brax

Brax Member

Bro Bear;

The error messages seem to be generated by DVD Decrypter. (And I might add that I have even tried the "brute force" cracking mode with the same aforementioned results.)

I am not aware of any log that Any DVD generates to show data info, etc.

The problem with the 24 season 3 disc, disc 3, seems remarkably coincidental--the fact that the same disc, from different sources, would have the same trouble in cracking, and with each disc, it appeared to 'hang' and go into the endless try mode at around 55%.

Curiouser and curiouser, eh?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions,
    Brax

7. brobear

brobear Guest

bjclaw
    You ripped with Decrypter, transcoded with Shrink, and burned with Decrypter. All you needed was one sentence. And many have done that and said that before. We realize you like them from your earlier statement.

[bold]Keep those rippers updated.[/bold] Now there's a short useful statement.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Brax
    Right click taskbar fox icon > Settings > Program Tab > Check bottom box "Show information window for new media" (When a new disc is put in a drive, the info window should open with the info on encryption used on the disc.)
    That turns on the info window. They turned it off from default so it wouldn't scare beginners. Some of the beginners were getting upset by not knowing the meaning and were complaining over nothing. Guess the author figured by the time they learned how to open the window, they might understand the info.

Seems those series discs have been troublesome for different software. The ones you have are causing similar problems to ones caused by other series discs. Seems to be more a problem with recording the structure of the source than the encryption used.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Brax,
    With unreadable sectors (whether intentionally created by encryption or an accident of recording or physical damage), Decrypter will slow down and try to read. The process can be really lengthy if there are a lot of unreadable sectors. So, the first thing to know is if there is some structural encryption, which AnyDVD can point to, or a structural flaw which can be ascertained by using DVDInfoPro to check for errors.

10. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Guys, my new objective is to get add a working menu that I use to start the movie playing, rather than the movie automatically playing when I stick in the backup disk. How do I get a working menu to accomplish that? I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.

BroBear do you really think the comment you made to bjclaw was supportive or helpful to him or her? I'd prefer to have your advice than negative remarks about how I phrase my sentences.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  11. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Guest

my ps2 will not read the dvd. IT TOLD ME TO INSERT A PS2 OR A PS1 DVD IN THE SYSTEM. HHHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

12. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Guest

my ps2 will not read the dvd. IT TOLD ME TO INSERT A PS2 OR A PS1 DVD IN THE SYSTEM. HHHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

13. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Guest

14. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

All, I'm using Shrink to Re-author I,Robot. I've draged the one and only Title for the movie to the left side then tried to drag what must be the Title Menues over.

I'm getting an error message that says:
    DVD Shrink cannot retain menu functionality when you re-author a menu. Instead, all menu buttons will be removed, and the menu will be converted into a regular video clip.

If you wish to preserve the original menu functionality, you should backup this DVD in Full Disk Mode.

Press OK to continue re-authoring the menu.

Bearing in mind that what I'm trying to do is keep an operational menu with the movie, what should I be doing? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Mike

15. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

Multipost ! Sorry

16. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

Multi Post, Sorry

17. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

My reply was to state that sometimes when shrink or DVDXCOPY or others gives an error message, you can use Decrypter to save the movie without getting the errors !!! I may be an OLD FART , but I'm not stupid !
    I was only trying to help . I thought that was what this forem was for, but I guess I was mistaken !

18. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

All, I'm using Shrink to Re-author I,Robot. I've draged the one and only Title for the movie to the left side then tried to drag what must be the Title Menu over. Immediately I get an error message that says: DVD Shrink cannot retain menu functionality when you re-author a menu. Instead, all menu buttons will be removed, and the menu will be converted into a regular video clip. If you wish to preserve the original menu functionality, you should backup this DVD in Full Disk Mode. Press OK to continue re-authoring the menu.

The reason I'm trying to keep a functional menu is to prevent my back-ups from autoplaying or starting immediately when I put them into my DMR-HS2 recorder/player. A functional menu also gives the back-up some semblance of the regular DVD movie instead of looking like a bootleg copy of the movie.

What am I doing wrong, or what should I do from here?

Thanks, Mike

19. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

I beleive that if you use the full disk mode , it will do what you are looking for, but I would use a DVD-RW disk just to be sure .

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mike,

When you re-author using DVD Shrink you lose your menu, period.

I suggest you use Nero' Recode2.

I noticed in your pervious post when you were trying Recode2 you checked the DTS Audio. It isn't a question of your player playing DTS it's a question of your Amp playing Digital. If you have a plasma TV, most of their hardware can handle DTS BUT if not - you won't have any sound at all. I suggest that you check the Dolby 5.1 THEN you'll have a backup with a working menu and great surround sound.

Find the guide in my sig.

Cheers,

Pete