1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD+R better, and will my DVD player play DVD+R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tom34diy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Does anyone know how I can tell for sure (before buying the DVD+Rs) whether my Toshiba DVD player will play DVD+Rs? The specs say, "plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD," but does not mention DVD+R. I want to convert my 8mm movies to DVD and heard that DVD+R is a better medium and will hold more that the DVD-R. Any help here would really be great. Thanks. Tom

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

not so...... both +R and -R media will hold the same amount of data/video on it's disk. a DVD5 will hold 4.78GB on the disk. I think you might be getting confused......
    here read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

this is what I would do: Booktype your DVD+R(W) media to DVD-ROMs. read all about it here:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    by booktyping your drive to burn the +R media to DVD-ROMs will fool your player to think it is playing a store bought DVD! Some drives can't be booktyped .... what is your make and model # of your burner?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If your player doesn't support DVD+R then it wont play them, period. However, what you said about dvd+r holding more than dvd-r is rubbish. They both hold the same amount; roughly 4.37GB.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-r.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvdplusr.cfm

If your dvd player is older, then it's no surprise, as Dvd-r came out first. There is no real advantage to dvd+r except you can booktype it to dvd-rom like a commcercial dvd; usually for better compatability. In your case, it is best to stick to dvd-r as you/we dont know if your burner can booktype dvd+r to -rom.

~Ripper.

Edit: So me and IHoe posted exactly the same thing worded differently, you get the jist of it, yes?

Lol - Speedy fingers Ihoe :p

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well good day Mr Ripper!

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Likewise IHoe :)

6. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I really appreciate the quick and helpful replies. I will stick with the DVD-Rs since I know they will work, but the -Rs will not hold a full 2 hour tape, so I was hoping the +R, if they held more, would solve that problem. Guess I will just have to put about one hour of tape per DVD disc. Thanks again. Tom

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You could always consider compression of the video slightly to fit more onto one disk. What format are the files you are dealing with in?

Edit: Your welcome, it's what we're here for :)

8. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

The tapes I want to put on DVD are 8mm and some Hi8 tapes, and all of them are two hours long each. I want the best quality picture on DVD (I am using Pinnacle Dazzle to convert from analog to digital) and it says the DVD will only hold about 90 minutes of tape. Tom

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, if you can get the video from your tapes onto your pc, then we can go about compressing them etc...

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

as Ripper said.... once your files are on the hard drive.... then just add them to Nero Vission or Nero Recode (depending on format) or you can use ConvertXToDVD to make those video files fit onto a DVD5! As simple as that....

But, if you want NO COMPRESSION then you'll need a DL disk to fit more. This will be the best quality you can get without compression. Once you compress your quality will go down accordingly but with the programs above the quality digression might not be even noticed on the TV! I would try the programs and see!~ good luck.