1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is flash card for ds is legal or not in north America

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by zsb886, Aug 23, 2007.

1. zsb886

zsb886 Member

I want to buy a R4, however i can not find local store sell it. so i want to know such as r4 supercard is legal or not!

2. spathi

spathi Regular member

Short answer: The R4 itself is illegal according to the DMCA, and the selling of an R4 is even more illegal and laws to prevent it are immediately enforcable. Buying an R4 is in a gray area, where you can claim it is for backups and homebrew, and they cannot sue you just for owning one.

Long rambling rant:
    Under the DMCA, trading or selling or even giving away for free devices/knowhow for circumventing copyright protection is illegal. So you wont find any shops selling this.

It may be legal to own one, but if they know you have it, they can sue you (if they're stupid and want to use mob tactics like the RIAA)

Practically it is impossible to know what you have on your flash card and without a subpoena/warrant they will never know unless you tell them. To get a warrant/subpoena they have to establish a plausible case in court, which is not too hard. But this is all assuming they know you own and use a flash cart. They are not shaking up end users, at least not yet.

If you share NDS roms online and they employ p2p monitoring methods like the RIAA, they will be able to subpoena your computer and attempt to sue you for that. Again, this applies to sharing, not downloading.

3. zsb886

zsb886 Member

4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Thx for the answer, i always wonder about that. But y does it applies to sharing, not downloading?...weird.