1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is giganews worth the extra 10 bucks?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by pmaknelho, Feb 9, 2007.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I currently have 2Gb free per month through comcast giganews and have been playing around with Grabit and am throughly impressed. I hit 900kbs! I want to upgrade to unlimited, but the diamond package is like $29.95 a month. Plus what is that SSL? Do I need it? I saw some other unlimited newsgroup providers for like $15 a month, but are they as good as giganews? I've been emailing giganews to see if they'll let me use my free 2 GB($7.99 value) towards a unlimited upgrade-probably not since they won't email me back lol. Any advice from the pros in ADland?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

why pay for something when you can get the samethings for free, if it is worth it to you thats all that matters

3. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

Reasons:
    1. Speed up to 1000+kbs
    2. Reliablity (no more trojans/virus)
    3. You don't have upload files (which is illegal and after awhile you'll eventually get a letter from your ISP about it.)

The reason I'm asking is some unlimited newsgroups vary in price. Does the content on different newsgroup providers vary? or do they all have the same access to content?

Basically whats the cheapest and safest unlimted newsgroup provider with access to everything? I've read previous posts of people getting ripped of like Hursty. What do you guys use?

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

You think this sort of file sharing is legal???????

Not on your life, and the worst thing about it is comcast know exactly whose door to send the feds to.

Another fallacy.. no trojans etc. Really?, dc++ is one of the largest sources of malware on the internet.

As rdmercer said, if the risk of paying for unknown businesses to have your details is worth the risk then do so. Me.. I prefer the reasonable anonymity of the private free trackers and encryption.

5. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I didnt say it was legal. From what I've read the only people that have ever had "legal" problems was from uploading content- not downloading. I dont know how to use anonymous private free trackers and encryption-a link to a guide would be nice. Due to limewire, emule, mIRC, and torrentz I've had to reinstall everything 4 or 5 times now and I'm just sick of it.

Is DC++ the same as newsgroups?
    If you can show me a way to anonymously download safe files fast without uploading content or receive virus/trojan/malware/spyware etc. for free, I would appreciate it.

If NOT, I would like to hear from people that currently have a unlimited newsgroup subscription. How long have you been using? are you satisfied? any trojans etc.? which provider? price? your anonymity? Is SSL necessary?

Thank You!

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what virus protection do you have? the reason you could be geting theese nasty virus, is because of filesharing programs like limewire emule and mrc, but i have never heard of any one geting a virus from a torrent, if that was to happen that person who posted that torrent would of gotten banned from the site, one thing you have to rember to allways keep your anti virus program up to date, also if you had a good anti virus program it would told you the file was bad, also there are plenty of newsgroups out there if you were to do a google search

7. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I've seen all the newsgroup providers out there. I just want to hear from actual customers that use them.

8. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

does giganews have a forum on their website? if so you could go to site and ask questions in their forums or google giganews feedback

9. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I've used Giganews for years and they really are the best of the best when it comes to pay news servers provide. They are worth every penny to me. Forget the $29.99 package. The $24.99 is all you need. It's still unlimited with the same speeds. The best cheap deal is http://www.usenet.com They oftey months for $40 or $15 a month. They aren't as good as Giganews. They have way more incomplete posts, and less retention, but for the price they aren't bad.

What I really like about news groups is you can leech all you want with super fast speed. There no stupid share ratios to worry about, but you have to pay to play.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  10. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

thanks Memnock. I dont need the SSL? Any problems with them sharing your info? Any letters from you ISP for DL too much? If not I'll have to drop bbuster online this weekend and buy a 360.

Is newzbin the best search engine for giganews or do they provide a different one to search?

11. webe123

webe123 Guest

I have the unlimited giganews account and the encryption and I think it is worth EVERY PENNY.Why? Because I saw my downloads shoot up from maxing out at 450 kbs to 650 kbs when I went with the extra service and used 20 connections.

And NO, my ISP did NOT increase their speed.I was just not getting my full speed before.Now I am, that makes it worth it for me , period.

12. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

What is your ISP? I have comcast cable internet. I've been getting 900-1150 with the trial. Will the SSL make it any faster? Does it make it more anonymous? I dont want to pay the extra 5 bucks if I dont have to.

13. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I don't have any problems from my ISP. I have DSL and they aren't up your ass like cable, but I had Comcast for a while too. No one knows what you downloading from news groups except Giganews (if you are using them) and possibly your ISP and neither one of them care. As far as download limits I hear the magic number to get a warning letter from Comcast is 600GB in a month. I download a lot (games, movies and music) and the most I think I ever hit was 350GB in month and it's usually a lot less than that.

I search what's posted with newzbin and http://www.binsearch.info

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  14. dave747

dave747 Member

I use Easynews for 10 dollars a month you get 20 Gigabyte a month.

It offers ssl encryption .a zip manager were you can have all the files

stored in one place for easy downloads.