1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HD DVD Dying ???????

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by ofield, Feb 11, 2008.

1. aldan

aldan Active member

way back when,some bought vhs and some bought betamax.try thinking of hddvd as betamax.shit happens.my condolences.

2. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

What about the argument that BluRay players were never really 'ready' for distribution in that they are still in a state of upgrades (Most of which are incapable of being firmwared up either)?

Say what you will about HD-DVD but they were ready for use and were upgradeable by firmware updates...If you own a BluRay player now, it won't be useful next year.

Me thinks there will be yet another battle for a 'format' soon enough, anyway

3. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You are correct in saying that BluRay's specs were not finalized when first released. However, if the BDA waited for the specs to be finalized then HD DVD would have had too much market penetration that BluRay would not have had a chance to compete. In a way the BDA's hand was forced by the earlier release of HD DVD.

Remember also that even HD DVD players had to have firmware updates to "unlock" newer features. I still remember how ecstatic I was when I updated my A1 to enable Dolby True HD 5.1 decoding and when I updated my XA2 to enable 24fps output.

Not really. Profile 1.0 players can still play the main features of 1.1 and 2.0 releases. You can still watch the main movie although you can't access the 1.1 or 2.0 features. For those who don't care for extras a 1.0 player is sufficient for them.

Note: One of our senior members (dblbogey7) has field tested the first 2.0 disc (Saw IV) on his profile 1.0 Panasonic and on his friend's profile 1.0 Sony. He reports that the movie plays just fine as well as the non 2.0 extras. Other users in other forums also report no problems with 1.1 and 2.0 discs in their 1.0 players.

Besides, most if not all the profile 1.0 owners are surely the early adopters. They have the disposable income to try the first version of a product and they are the type of consumers that are always looking to upgrade. I'm sure that practically all of them are watching out for the next generation of upcoming 1.1 and 2.0 players.

Like dblbogey7 said: "I'm getting the 2.0 Panasonic DMP-BD50 and moving my 1.0 DMP-BD10 to the bedroom." I myself am looking at the upcoming Denon or Marantz when I upgrade.