1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HD programming necessary?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AngryWite, Jan 28, 2007.

1. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

I was told that an HDTV picture will look horrible unless you have HD programing. If there are only a few HD channels, will all the other channels look bad on an LCD TV? Whats the point of paying extra for HD if it's only a few channels?

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

SD pix will look horrible on HDTVs. You can use it for DVDs (standard or BD/HDDVD) Right now there are over 20 HD channels available in my area, using a cable box and an HD subscription. You can also get free local channels in HD using an OTA. Stick with a regular tv if you don't wanna pay premium for what is available. My 2 pixels.

cheezzzz

3. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

OK, but i use DirecTV and they only have like 7 HD channels. So my question is, if I have the HD package and am watching a channel other than an HD, will it also look horrible? Also, how do DVDs look on an HDTV from a non HD DVD player? I am concerned about picture quality so is it worth it to get an HDTV?

What is OTA?

Any recomendations on an HDTV? I'm looking for something in the 46", $2000 range. Right now have my eyes set on the Sony Bravia 46" LCD 720p on sale for $2050. Is this a good deal? Any better recomendations welcome.

4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Standard DVDs will look better on an HDTV. In fact, I have the Sony NS75H and it sure looks like hi def on my 46 inch Sony flat panel LCD.
    OTA is over the air antenna. You can get them cheap at Radio Shack. A rabbit ear looked good on mine (depends upon your distance from the source) Also lemme repeat this: SD broadcast looks horrible on some HD sets. Mine is acceptable.

5. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

So then what is the point of getting an HDTV if all but 7 channels are SD?

6. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

you for real?
    If youre gonna use a tv for just tv viewing then stick to a nonHD set. Thats all I have to say on this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't know where you live but in my area I get all the big networks and a very good PBS channel selection. I can tell you with confidence that HD is worth it and that there is a lot of HD content out there you just have to look for it.

There is actually more programming in HD over the air in my area than from cable or satellite services. During prime time, counting Local channels and 24 hour HD networks from cable and Satellite there can be as many as 8-12 shows in HD (and surround sound) at once. Thats more than you can Tivo at once! Plus all play-off games and championship games have been in HD since last year with most of the popular teams games in HD all season long. I'm talking College and Pro.I think that is a great incentive to buy. When more people get HDTV there will be even more content.

On the subject of SD on HD tvs, it really depends on how good the video processors are in your set. Up grading to HD helps that as well as the DirecTV box helps your TV to up scale SD so that it is watchable plus the audio is better to (if you have an audio receiver).

Go here to find out what is available in your area from various sources like OTA and DirecTV...

Titan TV.com
    http://www.titantv.com/quickguide/quickguide.aspx

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007