1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is installing modchip that difficult?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by doduhdew, May 23, 2007.

1. doduhdew

doduhdew Member

hi. i've been looking for a modchip installer for a long time. i don't feel comfortable sending my console to installer because i've tried to contact them and didn't like their response time (2-3 days).

so i'm wondering if installing a modchip myself is a "mission impossible."

i don't have any experience with soldering.

let me know if any of you tried to install modchips yourself and tell me what happenned? ; )

2. ps2wizz

ps2wizz Regular member

its not as hard as you may thinnk. I insalled my first chip when i was 13. Just requires a lot of practice

3. HG27

HG27 Guest

Since you have no previous soldering experience I would highly recommend you find an old pc motherboard and practice on that until you get confident in your skills. Really try to practice soldering small points like the bios pins

4. steimy

steimy Active member

well, be the judge. Here is what you would be in for. I say with no soldering skills you either need a lot of practice, or you need to send your console to a reputable site and have it installed.
    [​IMG]
    that is a V14 with a Matrix Infinity

5. doduhdew

doduhdew Member

i thought you were supposed to use thicker (30) wires for the power and the ground.

6. HG27

HG27 Guest

yeah I think your supposed to use 22 gauge wire for power/ground points

7. doduhdew

doduhdew Member

glue gun & glue sticks $11.62
    soldering iron $8.65
    wire stripper $6.48
    + kynar wires + soldering materials

i think i will save me a trouble and send my system to whoever.....i give up

8. steimy

steimy Active member

trust me, the picture above is someone who installs these chips every day. As you can tell by the ultra clean wiring job. So i am 100% sure he knows which gauge wire to use. He has done 2 systems for me and neither one has ever had a problem.

9. doduhdew

doduhdew Member

i have no questions about how wonderful the above job looks. i just heard somewhere about using different wires for ground and power. that's all. in fact, i am waiting for dav's phone call right now.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Did you PM him at the site? That is what i would do.
    also davbere at hotmail dot com is his email and MSN Messenger. You can try those. I have not known him to call customers, but he may. I always did things with him through PM'ing him at the site.

11. ps2modgod

ps2modgod Guest

Here is another example of a pro's work. Some times its better to pay for the best service when doing this kind of thing.

[​IMG]