1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is IRC Safe???

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by masterpkg, Feb 26, 2005.

1. masterpkg

masterpkg Member

Hi Recently stop use torrent to download movie cause of mpaa and which to newsgroups. I was wondering if anybody knows if Irc is safe from mpaa like newsgroups are, And how safe is it

2. wolf666

wolf666 Guest

Not only no..but..HELL NO!! Irc can (and is)hacked constantly!! Its all so SO EASY!! Don't trust anything or anyone on IRC!! (my opinion on the trust part) LOL!!

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

don't run and command like "decode" don't go to links posted other than posted by the channel admins.

as safe from mpaa? i don't know.

4. mickK

mickK Regular member

Withe all this P2p filsharing talk from ther moment it was created to now IRC has never been touched or talked about by the music industry or movie industry. I find that really intresting

5. mickK

mickK Regular member

With all this P2P file sharing talk from the moment it was created to now IRC has never been touched or talked about by the music industry or movie industry. I find that really interesting

Edit: i apologize for the double post

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

IRC is not a problem, the reason you dont hear about it is because it's been there long before any www came along and "the man" knows he cant touch it.

wolf666 - the only thing to fear on IRC is the poeople using it, not "the man", and if you've been hacked on IRC, you have no business using it. IRC is not for the average internet user, alot of p2p or torrent people jump into IRC thinking it's going to be simple to do what they want, and such is not the case. I'm not implying you are a simple internet user, only that if you fall for the PM's and false script warnings that you'll get every day on IRC, maybe you should stick to p2p or torrents.

anyone else - there is a standing open invitation for anyone to come to our IRC channel and just hang or, or even learn a thing or two ;)

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It can be made 'safer', but its a total pain in the ass. It involves a shell account and anonymous proxies, and imo is more trouble then it's worth. For the average user, its not safe, because anybody can 'whois' you and find out your ip address. That can be pretty easily remedied on most servers, but still anybody you trade with can see your ip. But I have no idea what the mpaa or riaa presence is, but if you were really worried about safety, you won't pirate, now would you. ;)

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

or you probably deserved it ;)

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i use mirc and a linksys router, am i not safe (I know not to click on links and not to accept downloads i didn't ask for)?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  10. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

Mick69 - so true :)

Sly - yeah you're probably fine if you already know what not to do. you gotta be pretty silly to fall for a PM like "hey i'm 18 and horney, come and look at my nude pics for free, just click this link...http://root_your_box.com/noobkiller.exe

If you just use common sense on IRC for the most part then you'll be fine. but hey, it happens, think of it as practicing getting rid of stuff, getting to really know your system in and out, or doing your part helping to serve stuff to others (well ok if you dont know you're doing it, then thats bad).

come to our channel dammit, shoot the breeze, idle silently for months, we really dont care either way :)

11. jchamber7

jchamber7 Member

most networks mask your IP anyway, giving you a little bit more security, using common sense is in your best interest.

yes you can whois any user but the MPAA would be trampling on Clintons Privacy act to indict you.

not to mention most IRC user leach only, so techincally youre not guilty of speading the files. mostly the MPAA will only subpeona servers or IP's that have enought warez to make it worth the court costs.

long story short, IRC, IMHO , safe... for now