1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal to have back ups?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by CKY_2084, Jan 29, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I have a really nice DVD Collection, but a old friend came over and stole like 15 of my DVDs and I didnt even realise it for about a week. Anyways I keep 1 backup of all my movies in my safe. So is it legal to use those back ups or do I still have to have the original in my posession and if so then why even bother making backups? So do I have to throw all my backups away now?

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

There is [bold]law[/bold], and there is [bold]ethics[/bold].

Legally, you didn't have a right to the backups even when you owned the originals. Under the DMCA, it is not legal to create a backup if you have to decrypt or hack and protection scheme to create the backup. Well, may of us do it anyway, because we believe that we are "ethically" allowed to do so under any reasonable concept of "fair use" and that the DMCA is wrong to forbid such fair use. Realistically, the MPAA is not going to come after people who only make a single backup for personal use, like you did. They go after the people sharing out their copies via P2P, and I have no problem with their doing that. Unfortunately, it is the prevalence of such misuse that gives rise to such bad laws as the DMCA, which then hurt those of us who only want fair use of what we rightly own.

So you are an outlaw already. If you could live with yourself before, can you continue to live with yourself if you use the backups you never had the right to in the first place? I can imagine a rationalization that would let [bold]me[/bold] use the backups. But you've got to let your own conscience be your guide.

Okay, that was the long-winded answer to your question. The short-winded answer:

Legally? [bold]No.[/bold]

Ethically? [bold]That's for you to decide.[/bold]

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

LoL this sounds to me like one of those lateral thinking problems so popular back in the 70s'.
    (and yes I am that old)

Logic reason and ethics all agree one should always (with the proviso there is no harm physically or financially to a third party) protect ones investment.

{Lateral thoughts}

You should have saved the originals in the safe.. then at worst the thief would have stole a copy.

and should the originals prove faulty with time; you would have had redress.

well that's my Saturday night puzzle solved. LOL

regards
    gringle

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I respectfully disagree. Fair Use laws that were on the books before DMCA have assured us of our right to back up our legally purchased media. The DMCA made it illegal to bypass copy protection, not own the backups.

http://www.eff.org/cafe/gross1.html

5. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Copywrite laws also differ a little from country to country. The music industry lost big time here because we pay a tax on all blank media which does to the music industry. The same can be said about the movie industry. I don't know all about the law here but from reading the paper we are allowed to make a backup and the law does not state where that backup has to come from. One of these days I will look a little deeper but for now I have a little too much on my plate.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

No one is going to kick down your door if you make another backup.

8. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

wouldnt it be easier to catch up with your "old friend" ??
    if you knew he has them, get them back ??

9. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

First of all I would track down "Old Buddy", kick the livin shit outta him and take back my DVD's. You would have your DVD's and Old Buddy would be X Buddy and everything would be great again.

10. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

[bold]Big guy (er, Nephilim),[/bold]

If you could clarify something for me, then.

Are you referring to copies made [bold]before[/bold] the DMCA was enacted? If not, then how do we make copies today without [bold]bypassing[/bold] the copy protection?

OTHO, [bold]colw's[/bold] link to a concurrent thread pointed me to a discussion of the DMCA by the US Copyright Office that contains a distinction I may have overlooked:
    The way I'd like to read this is that we can circumvent copy protection for purposes of making fair use backups. We just cannot own the techology to do that unless we develop it ourselves, because no one is allowed to market or distribute (?) the technology required to circumvent copy protection. Talk about a "Catch-22"!

Unless, of course, we take free circumvention tools to be exempt from:
    But I don't think anybody is reading the law that expansively yet. That is why there are moves afoot, if not to abolish the DMCA, at least clarify consumer fair use rights under it.

11. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

Answer was already gave but my .02 are: the ONLY people I know that were busted for making backups was because they used them to sell them NONE for having or using them for personal use.

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats the point exactly. Legal or not, you can make dvd copies in your home all day long and no one will bust your door down to get you. Once you start to sell those copies and the word gets out that you are selling copies then the axe will fall. It would just be a matter of time until they get you.

Jerry

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Are there any Countries that are not affected by this? Maybe I could Edit my info to reflect it! :) J/K