1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it live? No, it's Memorex. But is it 4x or 8x?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bazilla, Jan 21, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I wonder how many readers are old enough to remember the old Memorex advertisements alluded to in the subject line?

As proof of my newbie status, when I started burning dvd's a few weeks ago, I bought Memorex DVD+R media labeled 4X to back up my movies to. I haven't actually had any problems with the media, but I've see some more experienced users here raise questions about Memorex.

So, I downloaded dvdinfopro, and ran it on my media. It says it is PRODISC, and rated 8x. Moreover, that explains why I've experienced burning, that my burn speeds have been at 8x. I've checked my burn of The Forgotten for errors, and there are none.

So did I get lucky, and get a batch of media that are actually higher quality than labeled? I don't suppose that's impossible.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

you said the key word, "lucky"
    always remember you may not be lucky next time :)

3. ratboy2k

ratboy2k Guest

I just bought some MEMOREX 4x. My DVD burner
    ( Liteon 832 ) can use media rated at 4x and burn them 8X. These however will only do 4X. I am taking them back today.

4. LForce

LForce Member

I would say you were lucky. Every batch of Memorex I've bought has been CMC Mag. :( I then get 1 out of 4 disks to work.