1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal for a chipped PS2 to sometimes fail to boot games?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by GammaScorpii, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GammaScorpii

GammaScorpii Newbie

I recently acquired a used PS2 slimline SCPH-70002 model from eBay. The main reason I got this (because I already had a SCPH-90004) was because it was "modded" and "could play burnt games".

So it was cheaper than modding my current model, plus I heard they were difficult to mod so I wasn't going to try myself.

Anyway, this 700002 works fine about 75% of the time. Other times it won't be able to boot a burnt game and instead displays the red screen.

It also can't load a dual disc game I burnt. From the research I've done though I'm guessing that's not possible anyway?

And it's very fragile too. It looks perfect and everything, but if I were to be playing a game and lightly touch the top cover, the game will freeze. But I can always resume playing the game if I open and close the lid.

Any of these things be fixed?

Thanks.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ps2 usually had a way to active or deactivate modchip or at least the older ones did, (hold down reset and restart the system on the fats, some of the slims had a switch). that would explain why sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

3. GammaScorpii

GammaScorpii Newbie

By a switch (because this is a slim), do you mean a button on the controller to hold down during boot or something? With the bios screens, there's nothing different from a regular PS2 so that makes it really difficult to identify what mod chip is in there. Knowing that would give me a better idea of the things this PS2 should or should not be able to do.

I also can't get it to play DVD movies, either genuine or home made.