1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal for the xbox 360 motherboard to make a rattling noise when shaken?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by cd3838, May 8, 2007.

1. cd3838

cd3838 Member

I purchased an xbox 360 from somebody on craigslist for cheap. Asked if it had any problems, he lied and told me no. Does not boot and has the 3 red lights. Not too happy about this, but trying to make the best of it. I dissasembled the system, and when I shake the motherboard it makes a rattling noise, I figured out that the guilty component is SWG21 (it is near the memory card ports) is it normal for this component to make a noise? I took off the heatsinks and noticed that they have almost no thermal paste. I don't have any artic silver on me though, so I cannot rule that out as the problem...

Also. If I was to contact Microsoft and pay them to repair the system, will they do it even though I've opened it? I know this voids the warrenty, but will they refuse to work on any system even if I pay?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There are no moving parts in the xbox when it is not running..lol..

3. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

if you send it back to m$ they will send you a "reconditioned" box ie; a broken box that they have repaired but a lot of people that have done this say the replacement one is useless as they just keep breaking down. but personally i have never sent one back so i am just going on what others have said.

and it will cost you 140 usd for the privalige if you don't have a warrenty.

4. cd3838

cd3838 Member

ok.. good news. wrapped the xbox in a towell and let it run for 10 mins, then rebooted it, and it posted! ran just fine! So the problem is obviously with the flexing/solder/chip issues (it's a code 0102, i tested it). So, i'll just replace those x-clamps and throw on some good thermal paste and see what I can do. :) sucks to be the guy that sold it for me so cheap, and told me it worked! BASTARD!

5. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

the noise is normal for me when i shake my whole xbox 360!

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Hold on there! Don't go wrapping it, trying to heat it, etc, etc, as there ARE MOVING PARTS ON THE MOBO. There's a switch which positions your ring of lignts depending on if your 360 is sitting flat or sitting on it's side and it will rattle when shaken.

Haven't any of you's ever noticed that the number 1 light is always in the top left position no matter how you place your 360? This is due to that switch.

Also, if you shake the whole 360, besides the switch the laser will also make noise.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  7. cd3838

cd3838 Member

i understand that it's normal, but the problem is with the flexing of the motherboard due to the defective heatsink clips! :)

8. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

the guy that sold it to u cheap got what he deserved and u cetainly know what ur doing to fix ur xbox 360 ive seen it done but neva tried it my self neva had to hopefully will neva have to let us know how u get on cd3838
    what u said shuld solve ur problem for good and hey u got a bargain at the end of it :)

9. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

try tracking the guy or resell it as is!

10. cd3838

cd3838 Member

wouldn't say I know what I'm doing.. just did a bunch of research, then dug in! It's my first time opening a 360, but I'm pretty familiar with cracking open and playing with consoles. In fact, I think I spent more time playing with the insides than playing games on them.. :)

Regardless, seems to have done the trick. Lapped both the CPU and GPU heatsinks, replaced the X-clamps with nuts and washers, slapped on some arctic silver, reassembled everything and played the xbox for two hours with no freezing. Think I'll pick up one of those intercoolers to be safe. Thanks for the help guys.

11. Bunny236

Bunny236 Member

lol as i read your first post i was just going to suggest this to you. good job finding out how to fix it, have fun with your cheap xbox :)

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yes, I understand the red light issue. I was only referring to the rattling. I should have worded it differently... my bad.

Anyhow, it's nice to hear you got it running. There are alot of posts I've read in which heating the mobo resulted in positive results, but to fail again a short time later. So post back later if it fails.

And if I may ask do you plan to replace the clamps with a stiffer or more flexible clamp?

13. cd3838

cd3838 Member