1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible at all to flash without opening up the 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by kenio8185, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

I don't wanna go through the hassle of opening up my 360, is there any way that I can flash it through the usb port?

Also, assuming i can't do this, can anyone suggest a ide - usb adapter that will work for flashing the 360. I haven't done it before but i think you need to open the drive outside the windows OS. As far as I know, most adapters won't do this. Can anyone suggest me one that will work?

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

does the search bar on your computer not work? this question is asked every single week.

4. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

well then, i guess i helped fill this weeks quota. =)
    alright, fair enough, i'll do a search.

5. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Seems more like every single day.

kenio8185 to be able to flash you gotta be able to connect to the back of the 360's DVD drive.

You gotta a lotta reading to do, my friend.

6. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

i'll do my reading, i've modded ps2's, wii's, psp's, ds's (although the ds one is incredibly easy).

Anyways, i tried searching for an adapter, i can't find one. Can you guys at least help me out by suggesting one? I don't wanna open my computer (although i can), this is easier for me. So ya, can you suggest me a (apperently SATA, not ide) SATA to usb adapter that will work for modding a 360?

7. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well first, you need to figure out which drive you even have. then you will need to buy a via 6421 PCI card as more than likely your computers sata chipset isnt compatible. then you will need to read, read again, and re-read again, the tutorials on how to flash whichever drive you have.

8. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

Well, I know that I have a hitachi drive. Also, (correct me if i'm wrong) but SATA is the newer one right? If so, then I have a SATA drive for my computer. However, i don't want to open up my computer, which is why i need a usb adapter that will work for modding a 360. Unfortunately, as far as i know, most usb adapters won't work for modding a 360 since they don't work unless the OS opens up. I need one that will work even if the OS hasn't opened yet.

9. wabashman

wabashman Active member

you flash all the drives within windows. so like it was suggested before, do some researching, then ask your questions. all that you have asked so far would have been answered within 5 minutes of reading the tutorial for jungle flasher.

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

it is in FACT possible to flash the xbox 360 without removing the case.
    you will need two very important items to do this.

you will need to go to your local retail store and purchace one can of zippo lighter fluid and a bic lighter (matches will work but the lighter will give you a more clean look when finished).
    squirt all the contents of lighter fluid on xbox and flick your bic.
    presto...one flashed xbox and you didnt remove the case.
    this procedure comes in very handy for lazy ass people who dont want to put a little effort something.

11. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

That's not the only way to flash the xbox without removing the case. All he needs is a trench coat. Then just sneak up on the Xbox, and BAM!!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  12. MReprogle

MReprogle Regular member

Yes, the trench coat makes the drive tremble and give in. If you scare it good enough, you can play PS3 games on your 360.

13. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

Or you could simply use a flashlight.

14. Drawflush

Drawflush Member

I heard something about even the peanut butter method working to flash without opening to case...not sure of the details, have yet to find the tutorial.

15. tcs614

tcs614 Member

you guys are so funny! anyways team xecuter sells a device that replaces the dock your hard drive sits on and enables you to flash with out opening your case. Its sort of expensive and requires a bit of soldering though.

16. chris4160

chris4160 Guest

You mean the blaster 360? That does not require any soldering... but I would suggest not to buy it.

17. tcs614

tcs614 Member

my bad i thought i read somewhere that it requires soldering

18. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

LMAO

You will still need to open both your xbox and your PC when you use the blaster 360. Read the sticky, ready again

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  19. WJ99

WJ99 Regular member

Plus you have to open your case to fit it anyway.

20. zarqy

zarqy Member

The only response I have to this other than the wide eyes and look of amazment I have at the moment is this: If you are afraid to open up your computer, then flashing your '360 is something you should NOT attempt. Don't be so cheap and just pay someone who knows what they're doing $30 or whatever to do it for you.

21. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Not sure about the old ones, but the newer Blaster 360 NEXT EDITION doesn't need soldering. Actually they are pretty useful if you use the 0800 firmware for ripping games.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009