1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to burn mp3s in mp3 format?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by toucher, Jan 15, 2004.

1. toucher

toucher Member

I just got a new car cd player that plays mp3 and wma. Since mp3s are so much smaller that wav files, couldnt I just burn mp3s as mp3s and fit like 100 songs on one disk? Im poor so this would greatly benefit me. Plus the cd player has a remote with any number selection on it, like a tv remote. I tried with nero and easycd but they both automaticly convert to wav. How can I turn this off.

Note: One other thing when you buy a cd-r it says 650mb or 80 minutes on it or something like that. Does that mean Im only going to be able to fit 80 minutes of music no matter what format I use?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! In answer to your questions here goes:

1: You can definitely burn MP3s to disc and use them in your cars deck since it's MP3 capable. When using Nero you need to burn a data CD and not audio for your MP3s. When you select "Audio CD" Nero will automatically convert the files to WAV as you've found out.

2: For CDR capacity just pay attention to the MB capacity. There is only so much you can fit on a disc regardless of format. Since MP3s take up far less space than WAV you can cram a hell of a lot more on a disc. The 80 min. rating refers to the approximate minutes of WAV files. It's kind of a useless rating.

3. deeswift

deeswift Member

**EDIT**

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  4. toucher

toucher Member

Thank you guys so much for your help and clarifying things for me.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

De nada, mi amigo.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

My advice, burn your mp3's as data like real slow! Silly me burned my "old" mp3's I downloaded form Napster (2 years ago) and now when I extract 2 cd's to my hd, I encounter CR errors! (blah)
    I fixed this using CloneCD and reading the image of the disc with "regenerate data sectors& read sub-q channel data\audio at 1x (yup), then burned at 4x.
    All fixed (wipes sweat off brow)....

Shoey :)