1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it Possible to Burn PS2 Games on 16x DVD-R's?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Zariman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Zariman

Zariman Member

Well, I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some Maxell DVD's because I ran out of my 8x ones. So I searched for the 8x DVD-R's but all I could find was the 16x's. I've known that 16x's DVD's are hard for PS2's picky laser to read, but I went ahead and bought it anyway.

I didn't to open the disk yet, because I'm afraid my PS2 won't read the disk. So is it flat out impossible to burn games on 16x, or is it just for some medias? The brand I got is Maxell.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Maxell is only good if you got the High Grade ones. I buy Sony DVD+R 16x made in Japan and they work perfectly burning at either 8x or 4x. So yeah, 16x will work, but Maxell 16x aren't good media.
  4. Zariman

Zariman Member

From my experience, I thought the Maxell was a pretty good media. Out of 14 some games, I've only made 1 coaster so far. That's not too bad of a success ratio. Should I risk burning it even though Maxell is not reputable for its quality?
  5. Zariman

Zariman Member

I might as well take a risk, because I'm too lazy to go back to Wal-Mart and return it.

Final question before I burn it, which speed should I burn it at, 4x, 8x, 12x?
  6. dan168

dan168 Regular member

I'd go with 4x
  7. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

A rule I like to follow is to burn at half the rated media speed. If it's 16x, burn at 8x (if your burner can support it),also make sure you have the book-type set to dvd-rom.
  8. Zariman

Zariman Member

I thought you couldn't change the book type of DVD-R to DVD-Rom. Isn't that only for DVD+?

So, is it 8x or 4x?
  9. Yoti

Yoti Regular member

If you have an old burner i would advise 4x. I have a fairly new burner and i do all my backups at 8x (using 8x Ritek GO5s)because I'm impatient.
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

many people have gad problems with 16X media. But it really depends on your PS2 and burner as to if it will work.
    Maxcell are good media if they say made in Japan.
    I would start out burning them at 4X as suggested, then possibly 8X if that doesn't work.
    DVD-R can not be booktyped, that can only be done with DVD+R and your burner has to be able to do that feature.
    I just bought some 16X Philips myself. I have not tried a game on hem yet but plan to test them. I bought them for backing up movies which works great burning at 4X
    But it seems harder these days to find a store that has good media and when sales come around lately they have been on 16X DVD's or just bad brands like Memosux.
  11. Zariman

Zariman Member

Steimy, tell me how the testing goes with those 16x Phillips.
  12. steimy

steimy Active member

OK, i will give them a try. I do not have any i need to burn so i will just test with one i already have.
    Well except Liberty City Stories, but then i would have to pull the old V7 with fliptop out of the closet as my V12 with DMS4 Pro is off to California to be modded with a HD Combo case and 250GB hard drive :)
    the burner i have has pretty much had no problems with any media i threw at it so i expect mine will work.
    I'll let you know.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  13. Zariman

Zariman Member

My burner is whatever Dell threw in with the computer, so I am not expecting it to be a good burner. I still haven't opened my 16x Maxell's as I am considering returning it. I am still tempted to try though. I will see after your result.
  14. dan168

dan168 Regular member

I would return the discs and get some good quality discs, have a look at online stores some of them aren't too bad :)
  15. jalaneme

jalaneme Regular member

yes, they are good media to use, i have similar media as the one mentioned Maxell DVD +R 16x speed *RICOHJPN-R03-04* and i burn the PS2 games on it at 6x speed and they play flawlesly, no problems there i also use the same media for movies and data and i have had no such problem with them, what i have noticed with the new Maxell media is they are are much lighter and thinner DVD R's than the old Maxell 8x speed counterparts.

i use a slim PS2 so i don't know if you will get the same results on a old PS2 if you have one, but if you have a slim yes use this media it's quite decent, and it is made in japan too!
  16. steimy

steimy Active member

i will have to try them when i get my V12 back. I pulled the old V7 out and gave the 16X a try and had no luck, then again it did not load the games i know work very well either. Sitting for a year in a closet may have a lot to do with it. The one i burned at 4X loaded for a bit then started stuttering. The one i burned at 8X never even loaded. Then one that did load a little would only load with the Swap Magic 3.0 special boot mode. So i kept them so i can try them when i get my V12 back. But i do not plan on using a 16X disc for games anyway. It was just in tha name of science. I am sticking with the 8X for all mine.
  17. Zariman

Zariman Member

I see. And to top it up, the Maxell 16x's I got are made in Taiwan so I will just return them today. Thanks everyone for helping me out.
  18. jalaneme

jalaneme Regular member

unlucky
  19. steimy

steimy Active member

If you have time to wait and are in the US then go to http://www.supermediastore.com/ and check them out.
    On some items you get free ground shipping and the prices on quality DVD's are quite good at about .34 cents each.
    I just bought a 100 pack of Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R earlier today for $34.99 with free ground shipping.
    Plus they have a 100% authentic guarantee on their Taiyo Yuden DVD's
    so you KNOW you are getting the real thing.
    they also carry other good brands as well
  20. steimy

steimy Active member

OK, just to follow up i cleaned my laser on the old V7 and then stuck in my copy of liberty city stories that i burned on the Philips 16X DVD+R using Swap Magic 3.0
    and after cleaning the laser it worked just fine.
    I burned it at 4X with DVD Decrypter