1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to change region for pioneer a04 once its been locked

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by R.A.G.S, Jul 9, 2003.

1. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hi I am sorry guys if you have had this question before. Im not a completely newbie but I just neva faced this problem before. I have a Pioneer A04 and I have used the 5 tries you get to change your region settings on the the drive. My drive is now set fixed to region 1 but I desperatly want to change it to region2 as I can use to back my region2 dvds using xcopy. Can somebody please help. Many thanks, you may email me on secretagent69_uk@hotmail.com

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dont post your email address, 1000's come through these forums each day, and a lot my send you spam mail.

Go to here and you can update your firmware to RPC 1 (regio free): Its about 2/3 way down the page

http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/

Chris

3. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Thanks oriphus, the firmware you are recommending will that over write firmware version 1.32, which is currently running on my drive?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

it will, yes

5. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

why is it that when I phoned up pioneer helpdesk they told me that once the region has been fixed on the drive there is noway of being able to change it. I even asked then about firmware change and they still insisted that it would not be able to change the region. Do you work for Pioneer?

6. Tosca

Tosca Guest

You expect Pioneer to tell you how to "hack" their stuff?

This is what it says on the page

THESE FIRMWARES ARE NOT ENDORSED BY PIONEER OR ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER

nuff said. THey don't want to hear your probs when you feck up your drive with a bad flash.

7. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

True....I read that after I read the pages...it was abit of stupid question I guess...

Anyway back to my problem, I tried the downgrade from 1.32 to 1.31 and the region code remained. So then I got the 1.40 firmware, that did the trick I installed it and it made my drive region free. Then I put a disk init it and it played fine. after that I done a reboot of my machine and XP started up and it said new Hardware Found, basically at that point it had re-detected my pioneer drive, but only problem is now that it wont read any form of disk thats DVD and CD.

Has any1 had this problem. Although I have had this problem with XP before where it wouldnt play anything. So I installed Win2000 and it started to work, I might try that tonight unless any1 can save my a re-install

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

9. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Mate, I have tried that and it says unable to complete normal part, then it carries on and and it says completed successfully, has made no difference....I hope i havent lost out on the drive!!!

10. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

I have tried several versions of firmware now, and i cant even get my drive normal state. Basically i am stuck in a state where if I install the firmware I will get the drive working but once I restart my machine thats it its lost, so only thing im doing now is re-installing the firmware everytime I start my mchine, im sure thats not healthy..coz im bound kill my drive like that.... Anymore ideas any1?

11. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hey guys....im just beginning to think that maybe my drive is RPC2......id there anycure for this if its a RPC2?

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You drive will be RPC2, thats what the firmware was trying to change as well. Are you installing it correctly using the instructions that came with it?

13. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Well i am pretty much sure i am doing everything correctly, maybe you can snd me instructions or guide the way you do it. I tell you what situation i am in. my drive reads and writes ok, but i have to run the firmware everytime i boot my computer.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

This is probably irrelevant, but can you make sure your DVD Writer is set with DMA off in the Bios.