1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to checking if DVD-R will skip without actually watching

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by campoli39, May 12, 2004.

1. campoli39

campoli39 Member

When a dvd-r is finished Is there any software program that can analyze my backup to tell me if it will skip. Because it's really annoying when you think the DVD is fine and then half way thru you see skipping or cannot read disc. I know that skiping is more common at the end of the dvd so I try to keep the backups short, but it would be great if there was a sofwtare that could tell me if the dvd will perform. Any info would be very much appreciated.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

Nephilim

A funny thing happened to me today. Yes I managed to produce a Backup that skipped on my DVDplayer. Weird, Cos it's the FIRST one I have ever had do this, & I am using Ritek Branded media!! So I decided to run the disk through DVDspeed & DVDinforpro. The thing is that no read errors appeared. The nero dvd speed graph exhibited 2 PERFECT straight "outward" converging lines (Thats the best way I can describe it ! I think you know what I mean anyway)

mmmmm I thought perhaps my DVD player Sony NS700V (This machine plays everything i throw at it!) had decided to go all mercinary on me. But no, it played every other back up I have produced. No skipping at all. (even using a few 18 month old Princo's)

I have changed nothing on my computers configuration for a good month or so.

Do you have any ideas what may have caused this situation? I am totally at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

campoli39

If you read my post, please don't freak. What Nephilim suggested was a spot on tip, and it works for me (well nearly always!!). Do what he suggested and you wont go far wrong.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hey,

May have just been a bum disc or some kind of fluke. Have any others skipped since then?

One thing to try is before you start your next burn, arrange the candles differently before chanting to the burning gods - I works for me every time ;)

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there campoli39, Welcome to the Club,

(Hi Bri, Nephilim,)

Just a slight addition, backing your level down to 4360MB will reduce your skipping also - it's the combo, poor media and cramming too much on to a single-sided disc -

About media, let me say -

Memorex is a good example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pop’s up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  6. brian100

brian100 Guest

Being a steadfast athiest I will probably not try that method.

I have decided to revert back to 2X burning for all backups in the future. As you mentioned it was probably some fluke bum disk, sent to me by the heavens to test my patience & perhaps bring me down a peg or three.

7. RWG

RWG Regular member

Don't mean to throw a werench in the good works here but lately I've been using CloneDVD2 to burn my copies. So far 100% error free on 4x Memorex and 4x "Matrix" +Rs I got from shop4tech.com.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No wrench RWG, I've found no problem with CloneDVD2 (I also like the free virtual drive I got too), works like a charm.

If you want error free and lazy, try AnyDVD with DVD2One using CopyToDVD to torch it - When I want to do a few discs without worrying about it, that's my choice.

I can process one DVD, be writing another, preview yet another on my PowerDVD and be printing labels to boot and all without any errors. If you have a system like mine, it’s no sweat at all :p)

Pete

9. michigan

michigan Guest

That is some serious multitasking Pete. You don't get errors when burning and playing at the same time?

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The only thing that gets screwed up is my feeble little brain - (lol)

It is only with this program can I do all this - of course the writing to disc and disc processing take longer with all this going on but no, no errors -
    Remember to check my sig :p)

cheers,

Pete