1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to convert Dolby 5.1 to 2 channel stereo? (and still retain DVD structure)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by AGwolf, Jan 9, 2007.

1. AGwolf

AGwolf Member

I'm using a combination of DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and DVD Fab Decrypter to backup movies... Sometimes, movies will ONLY have Dolby 5.1 as the main audio track... When I'm trying to keep the video compression at a minimum, this can cause a problem. I don't have surround sound, and I'm not concerned about it- so is there a way to downsample/convert the 5.1 channel dolby into simple 2 channel stereo, but still keep the regular DVD structure. I like to maintain menus and special features and everything (I kill previews at least, though).

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

In DVD Shrink? umm as far as I know--no.

...but; normally dvds that have ac3 5.1 also contain a 2 ch ac3 track too; so why don't you just uncheck the 5.1 audio track and keep the 2 ch - one?

3. AGwolf

AGwolf Member

I do that... when a 2 channel sound stream exists. Like I said in my post,
    ... not all movies have BOTH 5 channel and 2 channel tracks for the main audio.
    I know there's no way to do it in DVD shrink, but I was just trying to see if anyone knew if it were possible some other way.