1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it Possible to convert Region 2 encoding to Region 1?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by alinero, May 18, 2004.

1. alinero

alinero Guest

is it Possible to convert Region 2 encoding to Region 1? if so what programs can i use.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

DVD Shrink. Once disc is open, and you click "backup!" there is a tab "DVD Region". You can select region 1. I actually just make it region free.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Changing region will have nothing to do with it IF the TV & DVD Player wont play PAL.

Because , and this is me guessing but you want to change a region2 disc to play on a region1 US DVD Player & TV [if you're TV/DVD say that 50-60Hz is okay then you should be okay]

But as soon as you do a back up , whatever ripper you use should remove region completely !!: ]-~

4. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

Hello, I guess that would explain why I am unable to play a DVD I received from Germany. I have tried everything humanly possible to make this work and it won’t. I thought the NTSC and Pal thing only applied to VHS tapes and not to DVD, I always thought that DVD's are all the same except for the region codes. So I assume there is no way to rip and convert a European DVD is there? Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

European equipment in most cases can play both NTSC and PAL. However US equipment is limited to NTSC. You can convert one to the other but the process is somewhat involved. Do a search at the top of the forum page for PAL to NTSC. You will get many hits on the subject that should help you.

Jerry

6. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

Thanks, will give it a try.

7. ispy

ispy Regular member

alinero:
    Maybe you could try AnyDVD + Nero Recode 2 which should make your burn region free? ispy

8. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

Hey, thanks for the response, however I don't think it is a region problem as I have tried to burn it region free.It will not play it has to do with NTSC versus Pal.Thanks.

9. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

hi
    I live in the usa, my dad sends me discs from the uk, he has recorded them off the tv on his philips stand alone dvr, I get good playback, the framreate is slightly different, but not too bad once you have watched it a while.
    I have also bought dvd from the uk and had them sent, simply use a dvd hack and make your player region free.
    I play a lot on a sony dvd player, an apex and my xbox
    all of which I have made region free. And they play PAL fine.
    If its not a region problem, make sure the media used plays on ure dvd player
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]PC SPEC: XP 3000+ (overclocked) asus 2x fsb 400, 768mb ddr 2700, ati pro 128mb, pioneer a106 w/ hacked firmware
    XBOX SPEC: ver.1.2 with Xecuter 2.3-4983 bios,80gb hdd,Samsung sdg605,evox,xbmc,xbmp,dvdxr,xprogear,
    mame0x w/ 1,500 roms, kawax w/ 100 roms[/small]

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  10. Nuke

Nuke Member

I live in the U.S. and my pioneer 563as plays everything, including PAL

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It's more than just the DVD player handling PAL correctly. Right now the biggest problem is that most TVs in the US don't support it.

12. deester1

deester1 Member

connecting via S.C.A.R.T leads can resolve some 50/60hz problems...just a suggestion. Otherwise force the burning software to re-encode into PAL/NTSC whichever way you wanna go...quality may suffer!
    Because of hi-res monitors you wont see a difference on the p.c!
    What is the exact nature of the problem? Black and white, flickery image or no image at all? More than one of the above?

13. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

The problem is a strange one. I can and have ripped the DVD to my hard drive as usual. When I use squeeze I will select region free. Backed up the DVD and after I burn it will not play on any of my 3 DVD players. I have no problem playing the individual VOB files on my computer great picture and sound. I have also tried to delete everything but the VOB files and then I have used IFO Edit to try to create the navigation files. In IFO edit there is also an option to create Region Free have tried it still will not work I am 5 for 0 so fahr. Any other suggestions.Thanks.

14. vurbal

Yes, but what do you mean by won't play? Does it do nothing? Does it give you an error message of some kind? Does it do something else entirely? Saying "My DVD won't play" is kind of like calling a mechanic and saying "My car won't go". He won't be able to tell you what's going on without more information than that and neither can we.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  15. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

When I put the DVD in the player it does the usual load and then a small box comes up on the TV screen and says:
    This Disk cannot be played
    check the regional code of this disk
    the player the stops.

16. vurbal

It sounds like it's just an issue of your player not supporting PAL. I know it didn't say that, but since most people don't have the slightest idea what PAL or NTSC are (and it's a given that a PAL disc isn't Region 1), it's not surprising that the the error message doesn't mention it. I wouldn't necessarily advise going out an buying a PAL capable player either. If your TV doesn't support PAL (and it probably doesn't) you would need a player that actually converts to PAL.

I'd recommend searching for some of the other threads around on PAL to NTSC conversion. If I remember correctly, the Main Concept MPEG-2 encoder is supposed to be very good for this. You could also use AviSynth to do the conversion and CCE Basic to encode, but you'd have to do a lot more homework to figure out how to do it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  17. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

Thanks for the info. I never thought that PAL and NTSC entered into the picture as far as DVD's are concerned. My Dad has a combo player for VHS that will play both. How about these firmware’s that I read about. Would a hacked firmware not support both systems or is this not possible. Mind you it's not the end of the world as this is the first time it has ever happened. The thing that has me puzzled is that why can I play the VOB files fine on my PC and why when I create the navigation files why would it not create the proper coding to play on a North American system????

18. vurbal

Actually the differences go way beyond region codes. Here are the basic specs for NTSC and PAL.

NTSC
    Resolution: 720x480
    Framerate: 29.97fps

PAL
    Resolution: 756x480
    Framerate: 25fps

The resolution wouldn't be a big deal for an encoder, but Shrink doesn't encode, it just removes bits. Theoretically you could just change the MPEG header information to make it display correctly on many (most?) NTSC DVD players, but not with Shrink. The much bigger problem is the framerate. In order to convert to a higher framerate without speeding up the video, you have to duplicate fields (half frames) to fill in the extra time. This is a fairly complex process to do correctly, and it requires an encoder. No amount of changing headers will create frames that don't exist.

As I said, your best bet is to look for past threads where this has been discussed because I've seen more than one solution, but I haven't tried them myself, and if I ever did it I'd probably use AviSynth, which is not as easy as some other solutions, and probably has a steeper learning curve than you're interested in right now.

You could try a hacked firmware, but if your TV won't display PAL properly (like most NTSC TVs) you'll have to have a DVD player that actually converts it to an NTSC signal, similar to the way an encoder would do it, but on the fly.

Good luck.

19. dieter540

dieter540 Guest

Thanksfor the info and update.Dieter

20. Nuke

Nuke Member

Is it possible that newer DVD players being sold in the US are able to convert PAL videos to NTSC. I have PAL Video from Italy That I tried to play in my Pioneer DV525. It did not work, you see a black and white rolling picture but sound was ok. Then my dvd player died and I went out and got a new one, a Pioneer DV563-a s at Bestbuy for 149.00. It plays the PAL disk perfectly, good picture no jerkiness. My TV is a Sony Wega 32in. I have a backup disc given to me by a realative as well as home video and wedding video that is on DVD which would make them region free but PAL none the less. I used to have to convert to NTSC with PC for my old player but dont have to anymore and as far as region hack I read on another site that they are available but havent tried it but if I buy a dvd while in Europe (this summer)and back it up I'm pretty sure the copy will play. I don't know why they play but they do.