1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to copy items on my Tivo to a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by darkturbo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. darkturbo

darkturbo Member

I always am forced to delete talk shows and Seasame Street episodes for my Daughters that I would love to save for them. I know at the web site Tivo communitee there is a guy that can upgrade the amount of hours you record on your unit (up to 360 hours) for about $300 I think but I do not want to go this route. Copying to DVDS would be much better. At least for me it would be. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Furd

Furd Member

Since no one else has jumped in I'll give you a couple thoughts, but I'm no expert on this.

If you had a video capture card in your computer, you could play the TiVo back into your computer, record the shows into your computer, and perhaps burn that to a DVD. You'd need software to make VOB and IFO files out of whatever format you would capture the video in (probably .mpg or .avi). I've seen threads about doing that in this and other fora here.

Also, if you have a video capture card (a lot of higher end video cards can do this), you could install Windows Media Center and use your computer as a DVR. It would probably be easier to get a computer specifically configured that way, as most computers that run WMC also have remote controls for DVD playback, video capture, etc.

Neither of these options are cheap, especially the new computer option. Also, I've never tried to capture video on my computer, so all of this is just theory. Sorry if I've wasted your time.

ff

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I record off my dvr with a dvd recorder standalone,another not so cheap option.

4. darkturbo

darkturbo Member

Ty Fudd and Jim. Jim how exactly do you do that? Is is possible to connect my DVR to my DVD writer on my computer or would I need to buy a seperate DVD writer? Either way how do I connect them up?

Sincerely,
    Tom

5. gatlin01

gatlin01 Member

I purchased a externer pvr for my computer, I only have dish network so no tivo, etc.So I went and bought a avermedia usb300 pvr and i`m able to copy shows off the dish network onto my pc, then if i want i can burn to a dvd.

6. darkturbo

darkturbo Member

What is an avermedia usb300 pvr? :)

7. eviLstiG6

eviLstiG6 Member

FYI...
    Tivo recently released the new tivo desktop software that allows you to copy recordings from Tivo to your PC via home network. You can also burn them to DVD using Sonic MYDVD. Didn't try burning anything yet but transferring and saving on PC works good. http://www.tivo.com/4.9.19.asp

8. darkturbo

darkturbo Member

Ty Evil I will keep you method open to try. Just a thought...Could a standalone DVD recorder be connected to a TiVo like a VCR and recorded to? Just an idea? I do not want to buy anything unless I know it will work me to copy my tv programs onto a CD/DVD. I REALLY appreciate all the help I am getting from everyone. :)

Sincerely,
    Tom

9. djscatter

djscatter Guest

Good thing my brand new VAIO desktop has Tivo so I don't have to worry about all of this. Would have been too much of a headache... It better do some tricks for the price I paid for it.

10. steve7059

steve7059 Member

11. PrincesMO

PrincesMO Member

Hi everyone.

I have a directv dvr with tivo. I have a dvd burner on my computer, all the software to put stuff to dvd. I know they just released tivo to go, but, this option is not available to people who have Directv DVR's with tivo (which of course is me!). Anyhoo, does anyone know a way i can get my programs to my pc from my directv dvr box? someone said the usb in the back is disabled, but i didn't try it. I need some help please, thanks!!

12. kdob

kdob Member

Thats what I would like to know myself. I gotta DirectTv Dvr with Tivo and hope somebody can shed some light on this subject. I dont have my DirectTV tivo box networked or anything so where do I start?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  13. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you can record programs to a VCR, you can record programs to a DVD recorder or a PC (inputs are the same in the back of the DVD recorder). So buy a $150 DVD recorder. For the PC, I bought this great TV tuner/MPEG encoder/PVR card - Hauppauge 150MCE for about $65. It has RCA composite and S-video hookups, so all you do is run the connections that would normally go into the VCR input into the back of the card. You just need the software if you don't have Win Media Center Edition. They give you a no-frills WinTV, or you can download a free program called GB-PVR. So while you are watching a program or replaying from Tivo, it is constantly recording onto your hard drive as MPEG in whatever bitrate you set. You can then take that MPEG file and create a DVD through NeroVision Express.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  14. steve7059

steve7059 Member

Only the series 2 Tivos support "Tivo to Go", which is how you transfer programs from your Tivo to your PC.

However, as DogBomb mentions above, the analog to digital option is still open. Just patch your Tivo in to your video capture card. You may suffer some degradation of resolution, since your Tivo has already done one analog to digital conversion when it first recorded whatever it is that you want to transfer, but if you used a high quality setting on your Tivo, and aren't expecting HDTV level results from the process, you should be okay.

This method also has the advantage of being quicker than Tivo 2 Go. I've used Tivo 2 Go a few times to transfer programs to my laptop overnight, and even with a wired network connection, it took over 45 minutes to transfer a 30 minute sitcom! With an analog capture, it's all real time of course. Plus, you don't have to worry about passwords or trying to circumvent Tivos pathetic copy protection.

15. mickster

mickster Member

I have a Sony DVD/VHS recorder and record to DVD all of the time. I have a friend that wanted Leave it to Beaver series recorded and I have recorded several for him. I did find that a VHS tape had to be in the recorder for that to work.