1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to get your PS2 banned by playing back up online?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by cuteperv, Nov 29, 2004.

1. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

I know we have all the utilities needed to make your back up looks legit online, but is there any possible chance that 1 day sony will detect it and you get not only ur game, but ur console banned? Thank u.

2. leeborn

leeborn Regular member

3. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

hey leeborn, do you just mean no to only the game, but is it no to only my consol or no to both?
    The reason i am asking this is because I read one thread inthis website saying that if you get ur console banned, you must have to do some special stuff to ur console to make ur console a new one so u can play online again.
    Thank u

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you can only get banned if you used a dnas id that many people are using. if your backing up games you own, you have no worries.

5. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

Neither the game or console will be banned. First of all, Sony doesn't ban the game itself, as it looks the same as the original copy. You can however get your PS2 banned if you are using a public "Disc ID" (ie: you rented the game, copied it, and inserted that Disc ID into the copy, also highly illegal). If you inserted your original disc ID into the image from your own game as detailed many places online, like ps2nfo.com, then it's not possible to get banned as the game is exactly like your original copy.

6. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

I don't understand what you meant by "inserted that discID into." Do you meant like when i rent the game (rented don't exist), i copied the game right, and then inserts the original ID from that game i rent in the copied game. WIll that make the game legit forever? Cause I just did 2 hours ago and it let me go online.
    The question is what if i use the ID from that game i rent and put it on the copied game. And then play that copied game. Then another guy rent the game, but he don't make a copy of it or whatever, he also plays the game at the same time I play. Who get banned?
    I meant the two uses the exact original ID from the orignal game right?

7. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

Renting games, copying them, and playing them as your own is illegal. I would suggest you edit your post before a mod sees it...

I cannot recommend borrowing games from a movie rental place for two reasons:

1. It hurts the game makers and the video rental store as they are losing profits. It's also HIGHLY ILLEGAL.

2. You say you used the Disc ID found on that rented game disc...it will most likely work, but if someone else rents it and goes online, as far as I know and I could be wrong, YOU'RE BOTH BANNED. And if you're not both banned, then I know you are at least. The servers are set up with bots that will automatically ban any two players using the same Disc ID. And if this happens, you would have to use a special program to change your System ID that they banned.

As I said though, do not copy games you borrow from movie rental stores. Only make backups of games you own. And especially don't talk about it on the forums, as it's not allowed and is a bad practice.

By the way, what did you mean when you said "rented don't exist"? I didn't understand what you were trying to say.

8. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

I think that too. But funny that 2 ppl get banned. Especially the 1 who uses bought the game. ANd by the way what I sais was an example, I didnt say any where int he context that i explicitly go rent game n do it.
    But i'm still confused about what you said earlier. About the public ID. What do you mean public ID? IS it the generated one that ppl make out of some customized software? Like serial generated software?

9. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

"Public" Disc IDs refer to a Disc ID that is available online and numerous people have used the same one, making you vulnerable to being banned by Sony. I also referred to IDs at game rental stores as being public because more than likely, someone else will at some point use that ID.

If you're confused about what Disc IDs are and how they work, here's some useful links:

http://www.ps2nfo.com/sitefaq.html
    http://www.ps2nfo.com/on-line.html

Hope that helps!

10. darkchaos

darkchaos Member

A question, i heard that if you put the last tree parts of the ID the same as the original and you make up the two first parts, you can make your new homebrew ID..now the question is , is that possible and will that get me banned for using my own homebrew ID?
    I mean is not the same ID as anyone....

11. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

the answer is yes.

12. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

As far as I know, a "homebrew" System ID, most likely made using the Machine ID Changer (do a Google search if you don't know what it is...) is using the same algorithm, or formula, as the "real" ones issued by Sony, so I don't see why it wouldn't work...although I've never tried it. The only problem I see is if, by complete random chance, you entered a key that just happened to be also registered to another PS2, and you just happened to get on at the same time--that could be bad. But of course you could just create a new ID ;)

13. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Dude, if Sony physically insert an ID into each of the game they made, do you think they don't have the capability of recording it in their game database?
    I think when you go online and when the DNAS checking starting, i think that's when sony compares your key with the key they have in their database.
    And the algorithm you just talk about, it might work offline (no comparison w/ sony database), but if u go online, sony will know it sooner or later. THen boom ur banned.

14. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

You're right. I hadn't considered that. If it's not in their database, and I'm sure they have one, then you're not allowed online. Of course it would work offline, they don't store the database on the discs! lol...you would have the connect to the servers to have your key compared to the database they have.