1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to load a PS1 gameshark or action replay on ps2, as an elf?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Scotte420, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Scotte420

Scotte420 Member

Im wondering if i can get codes to work for my ps1 games while playing them on my ps2, original discs, backups or whatever, i dont care. I have an hdd, usb stick, free mcboot, codebreak v10 works with my hdd games, etc. fat ps2 btw. is there a gameshark elf out there?

2. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

hello, I've been looking into this kinda thing too, couldn't find any kinda ps1-cheat-elf so far, but I did manage to get a 'GameShark CDX v5' image running on my fat ps2 with ps2psxe_r202-727, only problem is that it always thinks the gameshark disc is still in the "drive" because it is all on usb :(

(I also tried gamesharkLite and codebreaker psx A.K.A xploder, both didnt work at all, if anyone has the ps1 action replay maybe that'd be worth a shot, but the usb thing would probably stuff that up still)

so, not much help I know but still, its a start lol, if anyone knows if any of these old gameshark/AR ps1 discs can be burned and run on a old fat ps2 that would be great news :)

3. Scotte420

Scotte420 Member

I'm not quite sure if I read you right, you have a ps1 gameshark v5 stating up on your ps2 but then it says disc missing or please insert disc? does that mean you see the splash screen?

I had trouble getting my ps2 gameshark to launch from an elf file, I would see the splash logo, but then it would take me right back to the freemcboot menu and it was an endless loop. my solution was to yank my usb stick while the gameshark is loading, my tv screen goes blank for a second and the usb stick light turns off. once its out, my gameshark continues to load, then I pop the usb stick back in.

it sounds to me like this solution will not help your ps1 gameshark to load but its worth a shot. send me a private message

4. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

no, what i mean is that i got GameShark CDX v5 running (almost perfectly, all menus) on my fat ps2 with ps2psxe_r202-727, ah i see the confusion now, u dunno what ps2psxe is, it is a ps1 emulator for ps2. basically i launch ps2psxe(emulator) with ulaunchelf and use that to run ps1 .img or .bin files. the emulator is very buggy but this "game" seems to work quite well except for the fact it loads from usb, meaning the "disc" file cant be changed from what i know.

POSSIBLY as it seems to save the cheats to a ps1 memory card, you could load the cheats with this into your mem card and then just play the originals to get cheats working, hell i'll try it now, i gotta ps1 mem card or two laying around, gimme 1hr tops :)

5. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

well it isnt looking good so far, i tried saving the cheats to the ps1 memory cardddd oh crap lol, just remembered, ps2psxe has a virtual memory card i think, hang on (unplugs usb from ps2) duh lol now i just feel stupid, now i also have to find a way to transfer those to a real memory card, the files are in epsxe000.mcr and epsxe001.mcr files though, i am assuming these are whole memory card files, meaning i need something to convert and/or extract the saves from it, any ideas? gonna google this soon...

also this game is similar, AND runs with ps2psxe, but has no memory card option for cheats:- Action Replay 2 Version 2.30 (USA) (En,Fr,Es,Pt) (Disc 2) (Bonus PSone Codes!)

i also tried a ps1 xploder cd pal version (seperate from the codebreaker above, though i think they are the same, just for different regions) and unsuprisingly, that didnt work at all, just like the codebreaker

basically i'm trying to work out a way to use the swap trick for backup ps1 games on ps2, without using the stupid slide-card trick, i think this slide-trick only works for v5 and up, i hear if you have a v9 fat (around scph-50000) or even the skinny ps2s too i think there is a psxlaucher.elf available, in theory you could use this to launch ps1 backups, meaning no more bull. unfortunately neither of these apply to me, i think my ps2 is a v4? not sure lol, you may have more luck if yours is new enough, or just go buy a ps2 slim, thats what i think i may have to do, they are certainly easier to get than fat ps2s, let alone a specific model

6. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

no luck :( i managed to copy ace combat 3 cheats (all planes) onto the virtual memory card (usb), then converted them to RAW ps1 saves and stuck back on the real ps1 memory card (RAW? is that the right format for ps1? it DID load the gameshark save file in the browser menu so i assume it's right) but unfortunately after all that it did nothing when i loaded my real game, maybe the gameshark cdx v5 itself is the problem, i'm pretty sure it was a ntsc version so the saves probably are too, meaning i gotta region patch the gameshark save maybe to make it work? my fat ps2 is australian, so this could be my problem, i'm pretty sure save files gotta be from same region

7. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

sorry for the late reply, I've been working on this but my best guess is to try and get a official PS1 gameshark/action replay, get one that is a DISC ONLY VERSION. these do not need the PS1's parallel port and should work fine in ps2's from what I can see. I believe these discs store the cheat-save data to a ps1 memory card and then launch the game, my problem before was because it's all emulated on a usb, so no way to swap the disc.

OR (I guess) you could try to get a old ps1/skinny ps2 and sensor-block it yourself to get a backup of these working. then I assume you could always save your cheats on the ps1 memory card and later insert into your fat ps2, and play that way. I've tried the slide-card-trick for ps1 backups on my version1-3 (not 100% sure which?) fat ps2 and it did not work, I would not recommend trying this method anyway as you could potentially screw up your fat ps2. thats why I said get a ps1 or SKINNY ps2 as these are easier to perform a ps1 sensor-disc-swap to my knowledge, and I doubt you wanna screw up your fat ps2 anyway.

both ps1's and these official ps1 gameshark/AR discs should be pretty cheap/easy to find if you have access to ebay etc, just make sure you get the right region cheat disc for your games, otherwise its pointless.

8. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

ah damn, hit post and remembered something, there IS an elf I came across which may help you, look for PSXLAUNCHER.ELF it can apparently play ps1 backups (e.g the gameshark/AR disc-only versions I mentioned) on possibly SOME v5/v7 fat ps2's, and should DEFINITELY work for EVERY ps2 from the fat v9 up to the latest skinny ps2 (pretty sure this is the skinny version with no power box on the power cable, unsure exactly what version it is but to my knowledge that is the latest, and also does NOT work with freemcboot, so if the skinny ps2 has a box-power-cable it should be fine.

I can start this elf on my fat v1-3 ps2 but it does not work for my ps1 backups. so maybe try to get a cheap slim ps2 that has the box on the power cable, one way or the other between sensor-modding and psxlauncher.elf I'd say this would be your best bet of getting ps1 cheat-discs working on a ps2.

as a side-note, if you have a FAT v9 or up and are tempted to try this method, you will still need to make/buy a slide-card (or have a fat flip-top case) to perform the swap. so probably still better to find a cheap skinny so you dont screw up your fat ps2.

I'd say that about covers it, I do have this page bookmarked and have been checking in occasionally so unless my bookmarks get wiped out I am more than happy to try this myself if I ever buy a skinny ps2, or help out with any more questions on this topic, best of luck, let me know how you went if you get around to trying before me :)

9. Scotte420

Scotte420 Member

right on man, thaqnks for your input. Was going to add that I have a gameshark cdx with the memory card included andx that it does not load on my fat ps2 which I'm pretty sure is a v7. 8 screws in the bottom right? electrocution warning. After reading topic after topic, it would seem getting a newer version ps2 would make a lot of other things work so i ll get back to you when I get a skinny ps2.

10. azthegreat

azthegreat Member

the fat v1-3's have 10 screws,
    the fat v4, 5/6 and 7 have 8 screws,
    the v4 started with the electrical warning label but has NO screw in the expansion slot,
    the v5/6 DOES have the screw in the expansion slot,
    If your model# is SCPH-39000, 39001, 39010/N, 39002, 39003, 39004, 39008 or 37000 you have a V7 PS2 main board.

I got my info from monstermodchip(dot)com/ps2version(dot)htm, just replace the (dot)s, they have pics that help find which expansion-slot screw I meant, plus lots more info for ps2 models up to v12