1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it supposed to take so long to back up a movie?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by ckelsall, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ckelsall

ckelsall Member

It take me anywhere from 3-6 hours to completely back up a movie from start to finish. Is this normal? I usually just use dvd shrink, once in a while ripit4me. A couple people I work with say they can do it in about 20 min. If so what can I do to speed up the process? Is it that I don't have enough memory on my computer? The only thing really on it it lots of family pics, and I don't think that would effect it, but I could be wrong! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

May depend on your processor speed. What do you have?

3. ckelsall

ckelsall Member

I looked it up and this is all I found that had anything to do with my processor, don't know if it is what your talking about, hope so. Please forgive my ignorance!

Base processor
    Athlon 64 (V) 3200+ 2.0 GHz
    2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
    Socket 939

4. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Processors are not that important, even Pentium II's can still transcode DVD's just fine, it's more dependant on what programs your using, what speed you burn at and how long the actual film is...

I can do most full-length feature films (1.5hrs to 2) in around 1 hour and 45 minutes, that's at the highest quality settings with Nero Recode 2+AnyDVD. Other applications like Clone DVD 2 give me similiar results.

Burn speed is also an important factor, the faster you burn, the less time it will take overall to backup a movie. However when it comes to backing up your DVD's you shouldn't rush it, so I don't recommend anything faster than 8x speed.

Lastly, don't run too many applications while transcoding as this may slow the process down, especially with a slower processor like yours.

DVDShrink will take longer than most "one-click" transcoding tools because of the fact you need to rip your DVD prior to transcoding it and then burn an image onto a disc. This adds to the overall time.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

sounds like a DMA problem, check your drives there probably in PIO mode they need to be in DMA mode you can fix that in device manager by uninstalling the IDE controllers then reboot and let windows reinstall them correctly or use this guide

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038