1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the thrill?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by johnnyd54, Jan 16, 2005.

1. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Is it just me or does getting that new release, bringing it home, putting in the burner and getting ready to copy it more fun than actually watching it. Am I the only who looks forward to something going wrong and having to dig out my bag of tricks(mostly learned from this forum) to copy this new disk with possibly a new kind of protection. If you notice the ripple something like re evil does across all the dvd related forums you might think I'm not the only one but I'm asking is it just me who feels this way or maybe I need to get out more. HE HE

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

I do like ripping the DVD's as soon as they come out as well and the educational portion of a dvd with new encryption keeps us on our toes. I tend to be much more computer literate then most of my friends so I get stuck in these forums trying to solve their issues as well!

Happy Burning

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's a shared feeling. I bought RE2 because I was more interested in the new protection than the actual film.

If you really like having to dig into your bag of tricks try backing up PC games. The protections are constantly being modified to make them harder to beat so you don't have to wait long for a new and better challenges ;)

4. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Think I might give the games a try. I'm not much into games but I do love knowing things I'm not supposed to know. Don't you know!!!

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Boy its getting closer to tuesday new DVDs coming out im getting all warm and tingly

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Nephilim won't admit it, but he's getting all warm and tingly cause American Idol starts on tuesday :)

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Hey dont knock American Idol I got TiVo set. I love that bloody Simon.

8. J_man

J_man Regular member

Hey maybe William Chung will be a guest judge:
    She bangs,she bangs oohh she moves she moves..

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey, this thread is pretty kweel,

I thought I was going to help someone and now I can just chill -

Speaking of DVD's, I was set to get the Korean flick OLDBOY because it had an encryption quite different from Little Black Book and RE2 BUT just before I ordered it AnyDVD came out with a new version that could handle it -

Now, is it me OR does AnyDVD seem to be a really great bargain as they seem to be more on top of things than any other proggy around ?

Can anyone think of a ripper that is faster at adapting that AnyDVD. Sure DVDD is FREE but it takes a while to get a PSL for different DVD's - they're up-to-date now BUT they're always behind AnyDVD -

Thoughts . . . .

Pete :p)

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

to get back on topic. I can't wait till next tuesday. Alien v. Predator comes out :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  11. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

You are right tho ScubaPete. Anydvd almost takes the fun out of it because they are so on top of things. Makes you want to turn it off and wade in first without it to see what your other programs will do. Still a heck of a lot of fun.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

johnnyd54,

As silly as that sounds, I haven't given it any thought -

A good idea that -

Delete AnyDVD (leaving it in Program Files to be reinstalled at a future time) would put more into the backup process. Finally something to wake up to . . . . When a DVD doesn't rip the very first time, we can then begin trying out alternate methods to achive our goals.

There are some Korean encryption diveations coming out either this month or next month, perhaps We can give it a whirl ~

Pete

13. sakmd

sakmd Member

First off, since this is an informal thread, I want to take a moment to thank ScubaPete and many of you....

I just joined the forum earlier this month, but ScubaPete, I came across one of your guides a couple of months back in a thread here, and it got me started on my way quite effortlessly, and piqued my interest in all of this. So thanks for your help and the work you've done here.

As I said, I also have many of you others here to thank as well for help you've given me, or help given to others that I've read, which in turn has helped resolve some similar issues. And through this forum, I've gone from just sticking to one program to trying many others to experiment with and learn from. It's certainly a great group here! :)

Having said that, I absolutely look forward to new movie tuesdays! For several reasons...one being learning from the new stuff going on. Learn, gain knowledge, so that I can at some point help others as you all have helped me. I too have found myself getting movies, not particularly b/c I like them, but more so I can learn from the new encryption, etc. Certainly keeps things interesting! I also look forward to new movie tuesdays for other reasons...adding to my collection, printing out my own covers, and prinitng labels to dvd now that i have my r200. Kind of silly I guess, but adds to the fun for me!

So let's see what tomorrow brings! Thanks again to all of you!

sakmd

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there sakmd, welcome to aD,

Here's my short list of proggys that I like to play with, give them a spin, run them around the block, kick the tires -

I hope you'll have as much fun with them as they've provided for me -

ScubaPete's Basic Cooking Recipes

1. DVD Shrink (ver. 3.2) ISO mode + DVD Decrypter, ISO write mode (FREE)

2. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + Nero (ver 6, Ultra Edition)

3. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + CopyToDVD

4. AnyDVD or DVD43 + DVD2One + CopyToDVD

5. AnyDVD or DVD43 + CloneDVD2 (elby)

6. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Recode 2

7. DVD Decrypter in the ISO read mode + DVD Decrypter in the ISO write mode

8. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Express (copy Disc to Disc)

9. DVD XCopy Xpress (Pre RF versions) (ver. 2.5.1, 3.0, 3.2.1) + Gone321

10. DVD XCopy Original (ver 1.5.0, 1.5.2) - (Pre RF versions)

11. DVD XCopy Platinum (RF using the "321RIP" patch)

12. DVD Decrypter (File Mode) + DVDCopy2 (InterVideo – fast w/ excellent quality)

13. DVD Decrypter + dvd Santa

14. AnyDVD + dvd Santa

15. AnyDVD + CloneDVD (.net not elby)
    (Little or no compression, it’s a poor proggy, DO NOT PURCHASE)

Several proggys including editing proggys not listed including:

Alcohol 120%
    Blindwright
    BurnatOnce
    BurnOn CD&DVD (Not tested)
    CCE SP
    Divx to DVD
    ISO Buster

PROGRAM LINKS (In order of popularity by Pete) :

DVD Shrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/

DVD Decrypter - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Nero Ultra Edition Trial - http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

Nero recode2 - http://www.ahead.de/us/632261771103079.php

AnyDVD - http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

DVD43 (Patin-cauffin Drivers, mid-page) - http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

CopyToDVD (CopyToCD) - http://esales.element5.com/product.html?cart=1&productid=157972&languageid=1&affiliateid=70128#

CloneDVD2 (By elby) - http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html

DVD2One - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

InterVideo Copy 2 DVD - http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp

dvd Santa - http://www.dvdsanta.com/features.htm

DVD XCopy – Unavailable – Not manufactured, Not supported.
    DVD XCopy Xpress – Unavailable – Not manufactured, Not supported.
    DVD XCopy Platinum – Unavailable - – Not manufactured, Not supported.

CloneDVD ver2 (by The Other Guys) - http://www.clonedvd.net/download.html
    (IMHO, An extremely bad purchase.)

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  15. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Trying all those rippers is kind of like foreplay that means the actual burning is almost as good as well you know what I mean.

16. sakmd

sakmd Member

Hey ScubaPete,

Thanks...and thanks for the list. Going through it, I've tried a few of them...let'see, so far #'s:

4,5,&6 using AnyDvd

Funny thing is, I've had Nero Ultra 6 for quite some time, and until I stumbled upon this site, I had no idea how to use 90% of it. Just used it for simple data burning tasks. It was great to finally learn how to apply Burning Rom, Recode2, etc. I just downloaded the trial version of Intervideo's DVD Copy3 Platinum edition, and will try it out with some of the combos you had it listed in above. (I see you had listed DVD Copy 2, but the one I came across was 3...I'm assuming this is still the same prog).

In regards to AnyDVD, I've used it on a few burns since I downloaded it yesterday and no problems. I had one question though, when decrypting 'on the fly' as I understand AnyDVD does, are you more prone to errors when compared to ripping the files to the hard drive first? I thought I had read in a few threads w/ some people saying so, but wasn't sure. I really like AnyDVD, as well as CloneDVD2, and will prob end up purchasing both even though I have Shrink and Decrypter. Always nice to have different options. I'm not familiar with DVD43 or DVD Santa, but will look into those as well. Are there any particular advantages those two have over the others?

Well, I'm off to try DVD Copy 3.... :) Thanks again for the suggestions!

sakmd

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey sakmd,

I'm glad you like some of my suggestions -

As for something to purchase ~

I whole-heartily recommend AnyDVD (as of this date, AnyDVD can break 100% of all encryptions out there). Yesterday another new protection called Settec ALPHA-DVD was released. 24 hours BEFORE it was released, AnyDVD came out with an update to break it :).

Next on my list, I recommend DVD2One. An excellent proggy able to handle episodel DVDs better than anything out there. Also a great encoder, IMHO, without peer in "one-touch" processing.

Finally, CopyToDVD is again, IMHO, the faster burner around PLUS it works with hand-in-hand with several other programs (i.e. DVD Shrink, DVDToOne) as well as a superb standalone VIDEO_TS and ISO burner.

If I were going to make a purchase proggys again, I would start out with those first.

As for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, try out this guide - (When you get to the "Backup" part of the guide, you may want to swap DVD Decrypter for CopyToDVD) Here you go . . . .

Let’s go get one of your favorite DVD’s and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen like an ice flow hitting the Mojave Desert and freezing the original, you’ll have a backup of it -

IS EVERYBODY READY ???

Well Ok then, let’s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will be coming on the air –

- CLICK –

”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

Ooooohh Boy, Ooohh Boy, The ScubaPete’s so happy I could spit fish !

Big fat finny fish !

And what’s soo great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

FREE STUFF that’s what, FREE STUFF !

I know I run behind the times but this needs Shouting Out !

The new DVD Shrink version 3.2. really started it all !

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Yea I know, it’s been out for a while, like me, I’ve been out for a while but I just found out how truly kweel the new DVD Shrink was -

We now we can go from Soup to Nuts, with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter all by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, after all my efforts, it had better be Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Ridata, Sony or media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could well be the cause of errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in. If you don't know what I'm talking about – you had better go back to reading these forum threads and seeing all the poor media complaints -.

Now go into DVD Shrink, click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size anywhere between "4260MB" to "4300" - we do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. Then, under the "File I/O" tab [bd]un-tick[/b] "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". Let's do it now !

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? First let's open DVD Shrink, now "click" "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian, Klingon Slobber-Jaw or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click "re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

DO NOT CLICK ON FULL DISC OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR EDITING.

If you want a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a full backup as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select

"Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter".
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frill DVD's like "Pirates of the Caribbean" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, like Matrix Reloaded or The Day after Tomorrow, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, That's it ! By clicking "OK now, (YEA, NOW, ~ ~> CLICK, "OK" !)
    (Wheeeew, we almost missed that didn't we)

Well, DVD Shrink will burn that ISO image to your HD and it then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?

Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done –

"Pissshaaa," you say.

"Naaah." Says I. "Tis the most honest truth !" I added. :D)
    "Really and truly !" I stated.

“OK, Ok, What now.” Says you.
    (OOOhh, Pooohh, I gotta stop this “says you, says me,) It’s wearing me fingers out) - - (Switching to regular typing mode - - "clink", "Pop", -) - Done –

OK, time to move on (switching to the moving on mode - click, %@# rattle - snap, - #%@-Ouuuch, S@it, that hurt -,

OK, I got it -CRUnch&#$ ) - - Moving on -

And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working cause you don’t want me a-smackin your knuckles with my Nun’s ruler do ya ?

Yea, I thought not. - Screwin’ up the burn this late in the game would cause me to choke on my fine finny fish dinner -

Now tell me, - - -

Wasn’t that finer than frog hair ?

Slicker than a southern slimy slithery sloth ?

Yep, ya see there, I thought you’d say that -

Truly fine, that backup was - -

“Hark, I heard a Backup Beep” –

Aaauuugh, the officers in the white coats and armed with the big nets and straight jackets are here - a-backing up to my front door - nice talkin with you, this old ScubaPete just remembered he has to be somewhere, anywhere (looking for the backdoor) - -

Enjoy youse selves and your backed up DVD’s –

I’ll be a-seeeein’ ya round the ‘ole Chuck wagon –

Ooohhhhh, I almost forgot –
    We expect ya to send word by way of de Pony Express on how you made out – Don't you forget now – we're expecting to hear from you -

Now where are my quarters, and Where’s ol’ Paint, me trusty Horsie - - -

Gotta go, gotta go - (jamming quarters in ole Paint’s neck)

Get’em up Gurttie, gotta go, click, clump, (feedin’ in more quarters, maybe Paint’ll go
    faster - )

Clippity, clippity, clippity clop -

an we’re off – Sea Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa - -

(Remember, when you want a guide with an attitude, shop ScubaPete :)

Cheers, :p)

18. sakmd

sakmd Member

hey scubapete,

sorry for not replying to your post sooner...been quite busy of late.

love reading your guides...you certainly keep it intersting! :)

haven't gotten around to trying dvd2one, but did try your suggestion of copytodvd. you're right, i was quite impressed with the burn speed of this program...very nice! not sure if i'll invest in it (esp since i've just purchase clone2dvd and anydvd), but will certainly make the most of it during the remaining trial period. i'd like to try out dvd2one soon, as you recommended it for episodel dvds, and i've got a couple to try out.

thanks again very much for your help and suggestions!

sakmd

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sakmd,

When you get DVD2One I'm sure you'll want to get CopyToDVD as it works hand-in-hand with it. Automatically like Shrink & Nero.

Glad you're happy so far . . .

Cheers,

Pete