1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that installing linux on ps3 slows down the ps3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Travar, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Travar

Travar Member

I heard from a modder (who gave me usefull advices in the past) that installing linux on ps3 gives you a load of good functionality, but it only uses one cell (and no GPU) so everithing is damn slow.
    He told me that even simple tasks like browsing the net is very slow. Also he told me that even video from YouTube cant be played properly, leave alone a dvdriped .avi file.

How much of this is true?

Does linux realy kill performance and power? Like you dont get full control of hardware inside?

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Yes it is true that linux does run slow. Linux only runs of one core of the cell processor. It was never meant to replace your computer only to do basic computing task on your ps3. I have linux on my ps3 and I like it even though it is a little slow. It's worth checking out. I posted somewhere else that if my computer was to break that I could use linux as a temporary thing. I love the fact that I can play snes nes and genesis games on my ps3. If you install it and you dont like it then you can always format and forget that it was ever on there.