1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it to upgrade to Wireless G?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by V8Eater, Oct 23, 2004.

1. V8Eater

V8Eater Guest

I currently am using a Linksys wireless B router with my Compaq Presario with built-in wireless G. It shows 11mbps, but I heard cable modems normally operate at 4-5mbps. If this is so, would my laptop be faster on the Net if I upgraded to a Wireless G or the Wireless G with Speedbooster? I do not play games online, just surf and stuff like that. Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you might not see any difference as the signal goes thru your cable modem before it gets to your wireless router. so the stumbling block or choke is the actual cable speed as who is using it besides you & not just in your house? but on your street & block

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    What type of connection are you currently using to access the net?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

thru a 5 port linksys hub thru a linksys router thru a motorola cable modem that i got from a customer when both linksyses wouldn't work with her new p4 & old p1. have 2 customers who had delink wireless routers for 1 laptop & tower each & both customers switched to all wired routers

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

personally, i had a bad experence with Linksys, i had to reset my Wireless G router daily, even after firmware updates.

I got my D-Link (DI-624) and have not had to reset it in over 6 months. No disconnects or anything.