1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth modding a US v1 PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Sam334, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Should I mod my v1 with DMS3, or just buy the newest ps2 version and mod that with the appropriate DMS chip? I read that the laser can wear easily with v1, but nobody has mentioned if they've done it or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Stephen

2. lBUNDYl

lBUNDYl Member

Upgrade to V9 or V10 w/DMS3 instead. The new models support more media formats -R, +R, and even +RW (I think?). Plus, it has progressive fan quitter fan...all the BS Sony wants you to know so u can spend more money.

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i had the same case i had a v1 and i try to get it modded but it wouldnt work it was the system...i even tried a new laser(some place tried it but didnt charge for it) so i would just buy a new premodded one....alsi if u live near a "eb games" or any other game stores that buy ps2(i jus have eb near me) try selling it to them(i am assuming u still have ur sticker on the back)

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have a v2 and went with the fliptop instead of a modchip. Its not that much of a hassle to swap the disks. Some programs need an additional swap with a cd loader program but really that only affects 2 games that I regularly play so even that isn't that big of a deal.
    As some others have said, if you want a modchip I would go with a new system. If you can't afford that you might want to look at the fliptop/swap magic set.

5. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

I am using Swap Magic with slide card on my system now, but it'd be easier to not have to swap (I'm lazy). And I have problems running certain DVDrips on Swap Magic. DMS3 would just make it easier all around. My tax return is on its way (yay), so I think I'll get myself a v9/10 and get it modded.

Thanks for the help guys,

Stephen

6. skool123

skool123 Member

xian: i too have a version2 ps2 and i was wondering, besides the occational double swap how is everything working out with the fliptop/swap magic. i am thinking of getting one but i havent read much about how well it works with the early versions. also where did you purchase your fliptop and swap magic. people have said to stay away from ps2cover.com so im looking at ps2fliptop.com and modchipkits.com. any suggestions would be great. thanks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  7. Xian

Xian Regular member

skool123, I have had no problems at all with the fliptop/swap magic combo on a v2 PS2. The only thing I know to be aware of for older PS2s is that they will only play DVD -R, not +R. It has pretty much played everything I have backed up on Ritek G04s. I have had it for about 9 months now. I got mine at http://www.chipzone.com though they was out of them last month when a friend tried to order.