1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worthwhile to mod a PS2 V9?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Rawking, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Rawking

Rawking Member

Is it a worthwhile investment to modchip a PS2 V9, or should I save my money and get a newer system, then mod a newer system?
    Is the DMS Pro 4 the best all around Mod Chip for a V9? I will send my PS2 off to get modded, I can't solder.
    Thanks for any input. -Bill J.

2. omegared

omegared Member

Well, in my opinion, the ps2 will always be great to have modded, but if you wanted a new system (other than the ps2), get a 360. Those are easy to mod by yourself if you have experience opening up hard drives and linking them to the pc (lol, if you do, your a tech god). Look at mod sites for more info, that's where I thought about modding my xbox. Craigslist helped me find a local modder too, since I didn't want to destroy my xbox.

3. Rawking

Rawking Member

Thanks omegared. I just saw the price tag of the PS3! I think I'll stick with a modded PS2. I will look around the afterdawn forum posts for a reputable modder.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

want my opinion, get a premodded Xbox, not 360 but the first one.
    You can do so many things with that system it will amaze you. Or just mod your PS2 with a DMS4 Pro SE or Crystal Chip V2.0 (also get a laser fix if they offer it) Problem these days if finding PS2 and Xbox games as they are becoming a lot harder to get as the 360 and PS3 take off.

The 360 is really nice if you get it modded, and have an HDTV with VGA inputs, and get the optional VGA cord. But if you plan on getting a 360 wait until the end of April when the 360 Elite comes out and get that (larger hard drive and can run through HDMI cables if your TV supports them)

PS3 i would wait a little while for the price to drop and for all the bugs to get worked out. There are bound to be problems with the system if you buy it right.

5. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

I play my modded PS2 more than any other system. GoW II is amazing!

6. Rawking

Rawking Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get a Cyrstal Chip 2.0 Pro SLE put in my PS2. I will likely have Norcalmods.com do the install, they do some really clean work. They have a photo gallery that shows examples of their work, looks really good. Man I'm excited!

7. steimy

steimy Active member

from what i have heard they do a very good job. I am sure you will love it. Make sure you ask if they flash the chip before they send it or not. A lot of sites do not (for legal reasons) which means that you will have to do that before playing any back up games.
    http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=crystal.html
    you will have to do some research and find out which one is best to use.