1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is just hangs...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mtrk, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mtrk

mtrk Guest

Hello guys
    I have a problem and it’s REALLY bothering me…
    A few months ago I flashed my MS25 drive perfectly, and now I’m trying to upgrade to iXtreme.
    I do everything right, but when I try to dump my firmware with iPrep (or XBM) it simply hangs in there doing nothing… I’ve tried the 10 sec trick even though it’s a ms25, I’ve switched to another sata (I have 2 inputs), and nothings works! I’m going freakin’ crazy…
    I know my chipset is compatible, it’s a ICH5, and I’ve done it in the past…
    I made a video showing my problem so it’s easier to understand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoWQgj1M670

Any clue?

2. theridges

theridges Guest

you have to use the 10 second trick...
    just do exactly what you did the first time
    but the only difference is when its come to the point where you choose the drive turn the xbox off then pick the drive number and count too 10..then turn the xbox back on and it will work...

here is alink to a video tut.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6sm4p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  3. mtrk

mtrk Guest

I tried and it didn't work... Another strange thing is that my computer only detects the drive if the Xbox is on when I turn on the computer, is this normal?
    Does it have to be exactly 10 seconds, or can it be 9 or 11?

4. mtrk

mtrk Guest

Also I have a ms25 and the 10 second trick is for the ms28 I think.

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The 10 second trick is only for the ms28. It'll do absolutely nothing for the ms25.

Are you putting the drive in 0800 mode first? It just hangs if you don't.

6. theridges

theridges Guest

okay i see you posted this over at 360mods and they said the samething i did about the 10 second Trick....

@mtrk
    when creating the usb stick are you checking the box that says "use ms28 bad flash method"
    if not check that...

after you flash the ms25 it moreless turns it into an ms28 and you will always have to use the 10 second trick to reflash i have had to do this multiple time :) note this is if your using the VIA Chipset..

if your not using the VIA chipset you have to use the 0800 Disc...

at the 360mods.net post it looks like you figured it out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Actually, that's not correct. The new firmware is built off of the ms28 firmware, and that's all.

The reason the 10 second trick is necessary is there was a hardware change between the ms25 and ms28 drive. MS added a resistor to the ms28 drive. It would be where the red and blue dots are together in the pic below (the one in the pic was removed). This resistor will cause the drive to just "hang" if you don't either use the bad flash method or remove the resistor and install a switch.

This resistor is the only reason the 10 second trick is necessary and it is not on the ms25 drive.

[​IMG]

The reason for the 0800 disc is not because of Microsoft, but because of the modded firmware's creator, C4E. Starting with firmware Xtreme v.3 and on, he added to the firmware what is called Firmguard. Firmguard is meant to block any possible attempts to read/modify (through Live/updates) the firmware unless the drive is first unlocked. That is what the 0800 disc is for... to unlock the drive before it's flashed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007