1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is lightscribe worth it?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by qwik3r2, Oct 8, 2005.

1. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Tashacat, yes indeed it was you who directed me to the cover site, a long ways back in October, for which I thank you. I have used the site on many occasions with success and now recommend it to others.

2. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

gwendolin, that is what is so nice about these forums, the exchange of information with others.
    I have shown many of my friends the CD/DVDs thatI have made with my inkjet DVD media. They really look professional. If you hadn't mentioned it I would still be using stick-on labels.
    Thanks again

3. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Here's everything you need to know about enabling disc printing on USA Canon Pixma Ip series printer's 5 easy steps.If I can answer any questions after you read this just ask.

http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html

Edit-Do Ebay search for the seller pfbweb thats where I got mine but it doesn't look like he has any listed right now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  4. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find the tray. Sure would be easier if Canon made them available to the public.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

It would make it alot cheaper to the tray is a $6.00 part from Canon but there not alowed to sell them over here.

6. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

7. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

8. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Just pm CanonTray

9. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

There is about 5 different sellers of the canon trays on Ebay,just keep checking. The ones that sell them with buy it now auctions around $20.00 with $3.00 shipping are the best deal and they sell out quick.

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Tashacat, do NOT pay that much for the tray, it's robbery. My printer cost around US$80 here in Aus. For a few more $$$$ you could probably buy yourself a new Epsom

11. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I believe he already has the Epson R 220,but I agree I would wait you can get the Canon tray cheaper if you just keep and eye on Ebay.

12. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

paiger651 & gwendoline, thanks for the input.

Gwen I already have the Epson R220. I got it about a week ago. I paid $99.00 for it at OfficMax. I could have bought it on the Internet for as low as $60.00 plus shipping. It prints Cd/DVD's great. That is all I will ever use it is to print CD/DVD's.

paiger651, I will wait until I see it for $20.00 at Ebay I wouldn't mind having to work on my Canon ip4000 and Canon ip6000. I found all kinds of instructions on the Internet on how to program your registry so the printer will show Print DVD on the printer menu and set up the print tray and remove the plastic insert on my printers.

13. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Anyone that wants to change the menu in their Canon Pixma to include the printable disc on the paper menu follow this procedure.

In your registry entry: “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers\Canon PIXMA iP6000\PrinterDriverData]” CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH

If you change the hex value to "1", you get all the missing print options regardless of what driver you are using or software. From there you just select Printable disc as the media type, Disc Tray as the Paper Source, and CD-R Tray B as the Paper Size.

I just did it and it works great. Still no tray yet.
    This is neat!!!

14. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

tashacat, you will also have to change your printers firmware destination code using the power on/off and resume buttons on the front of the printer once you get that tray.Yea it's pretty neat about all the hidden goody's Canon left on there.

15. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I just contacted Canon Australia, printer trays are Aus$15.00, around US$12.00, just for a comparison.

16. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

paiger651, do you have written instructions on how to change the firmware destination for the tray? They would be appreciated.

gwendoline, do you happen to have the link for Canon parts in Australia? I tried to find a parts place in Australia and they asked for Australia zip code to locate a dealer, duh.....

I don't know if they will send a part to the US?

17. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Tashacat, I will check out all the details tomorrow and get back to you. Cheers.

18. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks gwendoline!!!

19. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Set CD-R mode to enable.
    I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER] and wait 5 seconds or so.

Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME]. then Release [POWER].

Check to see you are in service mode by clicking [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK in red for the last line.

III. Click the [RESUME] 5 times then click [POWER].This is the Destination setting option.

IV. Click the [RESUME] 5 times "again" and then [POWER]. This is non Japan, CD-R enabled, letter paper mode.

Press [RESUME] then [POWER] again.

V. To confirm the new settings and return to printing mode press [POWER]. ß { Don’t forget otherwise it will default to JAPAN IPx100

Edit-Once you make these changes you may have to do the registry hex key edit again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  20. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

It's a no go ordering a tray from Europe after shipping and tarrifs it will be over $70.00.
    The people selling them on Ebay have contacts that get them in bulk.