1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is memorex DVD+R's 8X a good kind of media to make backup's with?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Davv111, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

if not what is? and it has to be something best buy ,circuit city, compuas carrys too. I will not order media online.

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Ritek=good memorex=bad/ok

3. steimy

steimy Active member

I have had no luck with Memorex myself.
    I use Phillips 8X DVD-R only now, you just have to find one that works all the time in your PS2 and stick with it, just buy some singles or 5 packs so you don't waste too much $$$

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Try searching your Burner Manufactures website for a list of media they recommend first. The firmware on your burner stores that recommended media information. Then select the best of what is recommended in forums here that match your burner’s recommendations. This way there can be no mistakes. One extra step to perfection.

5. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Everybody always downs Memorex, but to be honest, I have backed up most of my ps2 games with that media and never had a problem... Well, I never had a problem until GTA San Andreas, so I switched to Maxell +R for that game.

But every other game and movie I have backed up I used Memorex 4x DVD-R and they always worked perfectly.

6. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

I just used up a 5-pack of Memorex 8x DVD+Rs. DVD Decrypter's profile told me that it was a disc made by CMC Magnetics. According to sources, this is really bad media.

I'll tell you something, though, I've had no problems with my backups except for ONE game. My friend used one of my DVD+Rs to burn me a backup of MGS3. He burned it at a full 8x. About an hour into the game, I started getting audio and video stutters.

I made a backup of the backup, this time burning it at the slowest speed available to me (2.4X) on another of the same kind. It works perfectly now.

Basically, get a small pack of them, if it's good, then go for it. But out of personal experience, just burn it at a slow speed and you should be fine. I've had no problem with ANY games I've backed up on those kind of DVD+Rs.

7. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Oh, and if you don't wanna buy online, go to Fry's Electronics if you're near one. If not, you're probably near a Wal-Mart. Wal-mart's a decent place to buy small packs of media.

Wal-mart's where I've been buying all my backup media. I haven't found a brand that I like enough to buy a pack larger than 5.

Other than that, there really aren't too many places that sell small packs of media for cheap. Other than that, look online (newegg.com, outpost.com, and amazon.com)

8. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

hmm yeah, I find name brand media a decent price anyway, blank dvds have come down in price very quickly.

9. garbun629

garbun629 Guest

I don't know if this is true or not. I heard that the ps2 laser works harder to read +R disc than -R.
    I prefer to use -R disc just in case.
    I had no luck with Memorex too, my ps2 couldn't even boot the disc up.
    Fujifilm (TYG01) and Taiyo Yuden 8x (TYG02) are the best!!
    I have LG GSA5080 dvd burner. All my games are running well and no problem at all! Didn't waste a single disc.

10. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

v7+ generally read the +rs V6 and below often only read -rs

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Memorex = junk its not good media TRY TY,Ritek,Verbatim,TDK,Maxell any of thoses are fine TY being the best