1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my burner dying?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by db62, Feb 23, 2007.

1. db62

db62 Member

Hi...

My DVD burner is a HP DVD Writer 630c. i have had my system for a little over 2 years now. Just recently, when I try to burn a DVD movie (at the writting stage...) It DOES NOT start to write and comes back with media being bad. I even upgrade the burner firmware and same thing. I only use Verbatim and Sony and I know this media is fine. Does this mean my burner is dying? If so, what would be a good one to buy? I use it for Movies, CD's and Video game back-ups. Thanks to all in advance!

Dan

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

I checked to see if there was a firmware update for that burner and the last one was in 2004. I think your problem is that the burner does not recog the newer blank media's MID code and it will not correctly write the files to the DVD. I would just buy a newer DVD burner.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

HP is imfamous about not issueing any newer firmware updates. I'm waiting for an update for the HP 640c. If you went from 8x sony/verbatim to the 16x,then that would confirm the firmware issue.

You may want to try to find the older 4x/8x media-beware of 16x.

You may still be able to use that HP as a reader,like I do. They are pretty good readers.It'll save a lot of wear and tear from your new burner.

Then look at newegg.com for:

Plextor
    Lite-on
    NEC
    Lite-on
    Pioneer

Now if you could get a hold of a Benq, Model # 1620 to 1650,they'd burn those sony and verbatim all day long. These drives are getting very scarce,but very good drives.