1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my camera broken or my memory card.

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by john24135, Oct 24, 2007.

1. john24135

john24135 Guest

I have an olympus Stylus 710 digital camera. It works fine, until I got an olympus 1gb XD memory card. When that is in, my camera wont turn on. The lens will go out about half an inch, the go back in. I can turn it on by taking out the memory card, turning the camera on and inserting the card back in. The camera recognizes the card, and saves images onto it.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/

I can't seem to find your Olympus Stylus 710......I see the 700 and the 720 and the 810 but not the 710!~ hmmmmmmm. but I looked over these models and all of the should be able to use the xD picture cards! if your camera is having trouble with the card you bought then I would return the card that you just bought and see if another one will work.... if not then there's something wrong with the camera! Return the card for a replacement and test it out! then you'll know!

3. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

I had something similar happen using a Nikon 5700 digital. I found that you had to have the camera set on "take photo" not "view photo" when started up. The lens would not move if in the view photo mode. If you can get the card to be recognized after the unit is started up, have you gone to menu and told the camera to FORMAT the card? Usually, that will clear up a lot of stuff.
    If no help, go back to IHOE's suggestions.
    I suppose you are also using a USB card reader separate from the camera. Usually, using a camera cable is painfully slow and cumbersom.
    I might mention also, that it is risky under normal circumstances to pull out or put in a card when the camera is on.
    NIKON has a way to up grade the firmware through the USB cable, does your camera have a means to up grade through a cable with a down load from the internet? That too is risky, you have to have a stable powersupply.

Good Luck anyway,
    Tejasmed

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Does the camera still work fine with your older cards? If so, then the 1G card would be defective.

6. SomeBran

SomeBran Guest

Have you tried using fresh batteries? My camera had the same thing happen with the lens, and new batteries fixed it fine. Hope all works out!

7. blubyu

blubyu Member

Another suggestion aside from those above would be to reformat the card using your card reader and your computer.

I'm a bit confused by your intial post - it says the camera worked fine until you got this new card - yet you say the camera acts up with the card, and at the same time you've said you were able to save images on the card. I'm guessing you were talking about transferring images from your computer to the card - but not take any pictures with the new card in the camera?

8. elyk93

elyk93 Member

I aree with SomeBran. Same thin happened to me, try lithium batteris.