1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my daughter's PSP bricked?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by rwiebler, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rwiebler

rwiebler Member

I bought my daugher a new charger (Game stop charger, not an official PSP charger) for her psp along with the game Thrillville from Game stop. she charged the psp for an hour and placed the game in the psp. The psp said it needed to upgrade to version 2.81 (I think). After a short time, the screen read "upgrade failed" it has been locked up since and now it will not power up. I've tried holding the R button and powering up and pressing the brightness button.
    any suggestions for a frustrated father????

is this thing "bricked" what ever that means.

2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Sounds like a brick....After it said "upgrade failed" did the psp just shut down?
    You might want to see if you are still under warranty with sony-or if you can take it back to where you got it from and exchange it. Sony will repair if its a official firmware upgrade mishap.

3. rwiebler

rwiebler Member

after it said "upgrade failed" it froze. I had to take the battery out to get it to shut down. now it won't do anything. I called sony. they want 69 dollars to send me a refurbished one. I just can't believe its that easy to break or what you call "brick" a PSP. I would not think sony would release a product like this. I can't believe there is no such thing as a recovery disk like you have with a pc....
    This is the last time I purchase a sony product!!

4. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Well, it depends on where you got the game from. If it's new psp, there is a one-year warranty. Sony will replace it for you free of charge. However if you bought a used psp, it might have been "modded" incorrectly. There is no way to tell from a new user's perspective if it has been modded. And that might be the reason for the upgrade failure.

5. k_o_m

k_o_m Member

It's most likely not Sony's fault. If you bought it used someone might have hardware downgraded it, and screwed up the flash chip.

6. rwiebler

rwiebler Member

It was bought new but it was purchased 1 and half years ago. It has not been moded. so I guess it is worth nothing now. UNBELIEVABLE!

7. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

You could buy a modchip.

8. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Wow surprising!
    New CFW upgrades barely cause bricking.
    That must be like 1 and a bazillion especially on a official upgrade.
    I think Sony should replace it for free.
    Sorry about your luck.

((HA HA MOZILLA ACTUALLY RECOGNIZED THE WORD BAZILLION))

9. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

uhmm...ANY machine that upgrades the software has a chance of bricking. Just so u know, Bricking is when the psp is upgrading the softyware and if the software update is messed with (e.g someone turns off power cancells update ect.) the firmware has not finished beeing written to the psp and so the firmware becomes corrupted and can no longer be used.

10. rwiebler

rwiebler Member

well it looks like my only option, other then giving sony more money, which I will not do, is buy a mod chip. so how do I go about getting one and having it installed?
    any negatives about installing a mod chip?if my daughter purchases a new game, will she be able to play it on the mod'd PSP?
    Thanks again for the information.

11. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

the only downsicdes about installing a mod chip is that there very hard to install, they cost about 100 $ and to have it installed, its anout 20-30 $. i would go w/ sending it to sony to have it repaired. sony will update to the latest Firmware for you and they'll fix ur brick.

12. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

oops io forgot...yes she will be ableto play all of the games you normally could.