1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Dreambox 500s bricked??

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Azzaa, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

The answer to this problem is in my last post.

Hi people, unfortunately I've found this site too late...

My Dad gave me a 500s he had in use in his Turkey apartment(I'm in the UK). It worked fine out in Turkey and after a little time I had it running off my Sky sat with all the free to air channels. So at this point I did some reading and thought I'd start from fresh, put my own image on and go about trying to enter c lines etc etc.

I'd managed to flash the image over my network, since I didn't have a null cable or a port on my laptop for it. All went well at first and after the flash had finished DCC said my box would either reset itself or I should do it manually. It appeared to reset, but now all I have is what seems to be a bricked box. The green light stays on constantly, there's no image on the TV and I can get no sort of response. I also couldn't connect over my network, I guess because it has no ip address anymore.

So I went out and got a USB to serial cable and tried connecting with dreamup with no luck. Dreamup gets as far as telling me to turn on the Dreambox, but Dreamup doesn't connect to the Dreambox. So after a little reading I've found that USB to serial cables are not very reliable. So I dug my old computer out of the loft that has a serial connection and went back out and got a null cable and connected it up, still the same issue.

From what I've read my next option is Jtag, which for me isn't an option because I have no computer with a 25 pin connector, so really not an option.

I'm guessing there's probably a USB to 25pin adapter out there, but the added hassle of getting the parts for the Jtag cable is it really worth it?

I've also tried a new power cable because this has been suggested before also.

So what do we think, is it really bricked?? Any suggestions??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

had similar problems. so assume you have the installed usb to serial firmware successfully. so if your using your archaic pc :) its likely that the com port showing on dreamup is either com1 or com2. now my suggestion here is to download dreamup version 1.3.3.4 as this is one of the few stable versions of dreamup i have used. if the dreambox fails to connect using this dreamup and power adaptor is ok then i think its time for a new box

3. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

Yes all of the above has been done and tried. Makes me wonder if it's worth getting a new box if they're so easily killed.

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

maybe i'm lucky but i have never failed to get a dm500 clone (and they are all clones these days) up and running within minutes. it was only one box (out of many many boxes) that i have needed to jtag. symptoms of a box that requires jtag is on power on a green light that disappears after about 10 seconds once powered on. if green light constant then dreamup with proper null modem cable works fine

5. reswob

reswob Regular member

Azzaa,if all else fails and you have to buy another 500s then you might think about buying another motherboard.depending on your financial circumstances of course.i live in ireland myself and am surely feeling the pinch.i know over here you can pick one up for around 41 euro delivered with or without the rocker switch on the back.very very simple to replace.

6. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

I've just realised there are different types of null modem cables. Maybe this is why my box won't respond. This is the cable I have

My box is just showing a constant green light. It doesn't go out after 10 seconds.

7. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

Bump....

8. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

I've done some more research and it would seem I do have the wrong cable. So I've taken my cable apart and connected it as per this diagram:

[​IMG]

Still no connection. Can anyone confirm this is the correct way the cable needs to be wired.

One other thing I have noticed is that the box does have an ip address. I can connect via DCC, but it fails on the login/password using "root" and "password" Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. e45

e45 Regular member

10. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

ok, thats the same cable i got and its working . i connect null modem cable to usb serial converter..you did use the disc that came with the usb serial converter.. i have come across few dreamboxes , that i had to bin, as they wouldnt respond to reflash. i say you better off buying a new box.. 45£ will buy you new one..

11. Azzaa

Azzaa Member

Okay, my box is now talking to my laptop, via my USB to Serial connection - so they do work. The problem was with my null cable. For future reference for everyone else who has this annoying problem, here is the correct wiring for the cable to work:

Null Modem With Partial Handshaking.

Pin layout:

1 - 7,8
    2 - 3
    3 -2
    4 - 6
    5 - 5
    6 - 4
    7 - 1
    8 - 1

[​IMG]

Hope this helps people.

Thanks for everyone's help.

12. e45

e45 Regular member

People wont have that problem if they buy the correct one, you had that problem because you bought it from Maplins who dont know there arse from their elbow.

correct cable below NULL MODEM CABLE

[​IMG]

Wrong Cable below from Maplins Serial RS232 9-Pin Female to Female cable
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

argh wrong cable still going around i see,would have also said best with a pc with xp and serial port/rs232 and null modem cable.