1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my DVD Burner fried?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by djponce, Nov 12, 2007.

1. djponce

djponce Member

Hello all. I'm having a problem backing up dvds. Please let me know if this post should go somewhere else. Background: I've been able to backup lots of movies over the last couple years with no problem using dvddecrpter and dvd shrink 3.2 (after using shrink, dvddecrpyter burns). Well, computer crashed and I wiped it clean reinstalling windows. I had dvd decrpyter and shink backed up on an external hard drive, so i reinstalled from those install files. (only mention because this is the only thing different since the last movie I backed up).

Anyway, tried backing up a recent movie and created about 5 coasters. Got the same error message, it always occurred shortly into the burning process. Went and grabbed an original movie that I've backed up previously and tried to back it up - same error message. Here is the message I'm getting backing up a movie I've backed up before:

I/O Error!

Device: [0:0:0] SONY DVD RW DRU-720A JY08 (E:) (USB)

ScsiStatus: 0X02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 05 E0 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectors: 1504 - 1535

Sense Area: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 05 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

Anybody had this error and know what the cause is?

I should point out that I'm using the same media that I've used to make lots of backups. Also, this is the first time using my burner since it's been unplugged and stored in the closet for several months.

Do you think the burner has burned its last disc and time to get a new one?

Please help! Thank you so much.

2. djponce

djponce Member

Follow on - I just tried making a dvd from files from my video camera and burning with a completely differnt program. Didn't get the same error message since I was using a different program, instead the dvd just spit out. Looking at the size of the ring that did burn, it's the same as all the others. What gives?

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hello.

- could be bad media. What are you using and who made it (the actual manufacturer). You can use DVD Identifier to identify the actual manufacturer. If using ImgBurn, look next to Disk ID in the righthand window in Write mode.
    - could be burning too fast but probably not likely.
    - could be a faulty USB cable. Swap cable and make sure it's firmly inserted at both ends.
    - could be a faulty external enclosure. Try using it on another system and see if it works.
    - could be a faulty drive. Remove from enclosure and install as an internal in another system and see if it works.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

did you install the motherboard drivers disc after windows?

ide drivers etc?

did you install a ASPI LAYER ?

-------------

have you changed the media/disc brand since you did a good copy on the old system?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. djponce

djponce Member

thank you both for the responses. I'm not ready to get a new burner just yet.

okay.

Media - probably not the problem since it's the same spindle of sony dvd-r's that i was using before i moved with no problem. but i can borrow a blank from someone else and see if this helps.

Burning too fast - i don't think this is the problem - i've slowed down all the way to 4x and still same problem at same point in the process.

Faulty USB cable - I'll check tonight to make sure it's secure. i can also swap the one with my printer and see if that makes a difference.

Motherboard drivers, IDE drivers...hmm, I don't recall - I know I put in the gateway systems disc that came with my system and installed several things that were there. I'll pop the disk in tonight and see if it includes motherboard drivers, ide drivers, etc. I assume this is where they would be?

ASPI Layer - please forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure what this is?

If I can't get it working this week after work, I'll try it on a friends systems this weekend. Thank you for your help. My original thought was maybe this specific error message meant something specific was wrong, but sounds like it could be any one of a host of things or a combination.

6. djponce

djponce Member

another bit of information: i used the burner last night to install some software, just to see if the drive could hand the data transferring. it did, software installed without any problems.

also, as i alluded to earlier, when i try to burn a movie, it does write some data, as the ring on all my coasters is apporximately the same size when it errors out. i'm truly puzzled. i'll look into some of these suggestions above tonight when i get home - will probably be a late night.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Reading and writing are totally separate functions on the burner. Drives can read and not write or write but not read, or of course, do both like they are supposed to do.

Take your USB2 external burner to another system. If it works there, you know something is amiss with your system. If it has the same write problems on the other system, you know there is a problem with the external burner of some sort and can go from there.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

with all the problems that you have with your burner since you re installed Windows......

1. did you do all the Windows updates since you reinstalled it?
    2. when you reinstalled DVDDecrypter and Shrink..... maybe you didn't install it properly or there was something that didn't install properly.

suggest you redownload the programs from here:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/software.htm

try again....

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

if its usb drive no worries on ide drivers it doesnt use them. although you need USB2 driver installed comes with XP/PRO SP2.

like mentioned could be a dvdr issue, try different brand i think you say they are part the same batch, but this doesnt mean anything, as i have had spindles of 50 half bad and another 50 10 or so bad, but i have used thousands to date.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  10. consul

consul Regular member

Hi
    been having the same sort of problem over the last week and in the end put it down to the burner. picked up a new lite-on DH-20A4P from CCLonline for £15+p+p and am now happly burning away again. I guess these drive where never meant to last for ever and a new one wont cost the Earth

11. djponce

djponce Member

Is my burner fried? Answer: NO!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Thought I'd report back that I got a successful burn this morning. The problem: McAfee. The only thing different post reimage is that I updated McAfee which is their latest product which is very memory intense. It won't allow you to right click on the system tray icon and shut it down, which is what i used to do. I did a ctrl alt delete and shut down all processes i could that related to mcafee. Then shut down internet connection and presto, the burn worked. YES!

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

so probably a buffer underun / memory issue...

glad you worked it out.