1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my laser dieing?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Backglass, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Backglass

Backglass Member

Hey all,

I have a first generation GC (with the digital out port) and installed the Qoob-Pro about two months ago. It has been awesome, playing every backup with no problems whatsoever.

Suddenly last night in the middle of Twilight Princess, I got the black screen of death ("There is a problem, Please check your manual", etc). After that trying to boot ANY backup results in a "cant read disc" error from the QoobBios. Original games load and play OK with the Qoob bios at first, but are also acting weird, sometimes freezing, etc. I double checked the laser POT and it was at 170. I tried 140 and even 120 with no change in behavior.

Is this how it goes when the laser starts dieing?

2. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Seems like it. I had the exact same thing happen to me with a first gen GC when I installed a qoob Pro in it, and I ended up just buying a new GC after it stopped working with a replacement laser assembly as will. I haven't had any problems with the new one, so I'm guessing my old one was just worn out from overuse.