1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my MOBO at fault here...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wabashman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ok, so i have an AMD 4400 cpu and its OCed to 2.53 right now i believe, something right around there. but i cant seem to get it any higher than that through the bios. according to nvidia ntune the max it will go is 2.7, not that it i want it that high, but i know it should go higher than what it is at right now. i have the multiplier set at 11x and the other option in my bios is set at 2.29 i believe. every time i go to 2.30 it wont boot up, it says that the frequency is to high please reclock. my motherboard is a cheapish winfast with a nvidia chipset in it. if a new mobo is needed im not opposed to buying one as long as it has the following features. dual pci e 16x slots, 2 ide connections, internal sata connections, and at least 2 pci slots. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Obviously a cheap motherboard wont overclock too much. It all depends, you could have gotten an unlucky CPU or a motherboard. It's the luck of the draw. Just because MOST of some component overclock that much doesn't mean YOURS will.

Although I do think it probably is your motherboard.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never seen an overclocking process that gives you the FSB. To be honest, getting as far as 2.53Ghz is impressive, I only managed 2.40 with an Asus motherboard because I used value memory.

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

to sammoris, the ntune program gives you the 'opportunity' to adjust the FSB, however, i have no clue if it really adjusts it or not. i dont think the memory is a problem for me, as it started out as kingston 5300 and i have it OCed to like 760 currently with 4 gigs in the pc. but i feel better now that its at 2.53 if you werent able to get it that high yourself.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can't you check using CpuZ?

6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

good point, didnt think of that. ill check that when i get back home from work tonight.

also, something i just realized, as i have stated before i have 4 gigs of ram in the pc, but when vista starts up and brings up the welcome screen saying what your cpu is, your amount of ram, rating score, whatever else is on there, it claims i only have 2.75 gigs, but i can go to system manager or the bios and it shows that i 4 gigs available. so what gives?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  7. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Whats the make/model of your motherboard?

8. wabashman

wabashman Active member

it is a winfast board....its an SOL series (i know, i laughed my butt off when i read it also.) as to the model number, im not sure, ive having a hard time finding it on newegg or tiger direct. i know it says it can support up to 32 gigs of ram, so i dont think its the boards fault for say it only has 2.75 gigs of ram there.