1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS MY MODCHIP BROKEN?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jofatso, Sep 22, 2004.

1. jofatso

jofatso Member

I have a V4 with a chip. I don't know what kind of chip I have though...When I first got it modified, I was able to load backup games no problem. I've been burning backup games, both DVD & CD for a while now, and they all seemed to be working fine. All I had to do was insert the game, push 'reset', and it would load automatically. Now, for some reason, everytime I insert a game, it won't load and it takes me to the 'browser' screen. If you push 'X', it gives you 2 options, either to check you memory card or read the disk. If I push 'X' to read the disk, the red screen apprears. I have to push reset numerous times for it to load. I've tried cleaning the eye, and vent system as well, and that seemed to work for a while. Is there a CD or DVD I can use to boot my games with my modchip? Or do I have to get a new modchip? Please help...

Thanks

2. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

There are disk called Swap Magic disk that you could use in place of your chip. But it sounds like a laser problem...Have you ever tried adjusting the laser or maybe purchase a new one.

3. jofatso

jofatso Member

What does adjusting the laser do? And would I be able to do that myself?

Thanks for you help BTW...

4. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

Try adjusting the laser angle using the white cog at the back of the drive tray, you could also try adjusting the black screw on the laser arm, this will bring the laser closer to the disc, when making any adjustments make sure you mark the original position, and only turn the cog/screw a fraction at a time, these adjustments take a while to do, but they are very often succesfull.

Try this page also http://www.psxtune.com/psx2/specialse.html

5. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

I'd say a wire has probably come undone from the modchip. I had trouble loading Cdr games with my chip so I had it replaced. Turns out the only problem was a wire had come undone but I had the chip replaced with a newer one anyway.