1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my new 360 improved?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bailey07, Nov 13, 2007.

1. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

Ok so I'm now on 360 number 4 as my last one scratched call of duty 4 as soon as i got it!Anyway I noticed that it now has HDMI plus a BenQ drive. I am very pleased with the 360 as it is a lot quieter than the old one. But is there anytthing else that has been improved?

2. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

It depends. If it's from a high # lot like 737 or higher with team FDOU, it probably has the falcon board revision. (look on the box the xbox came in and you'll see the sticker showing this.) I think most large stores getting newer supplies will be having the revision but it's still a toss up while M$ gets rid of their old parts.

Put a flashlight up to the rear vents of the unit and put your eye against the case and look inside to see if you have the new heatsink with horizontal "fins" on it, as well as on the motherboard with 2 ring inductors laying flat. You can see the 3rd space for an additional inductor is vacant, giving a good indication of a revised motherboard/cpu. It'll look like this on the board ---> (o)(o)( )
    Make sure you look for the open circle gap on the board. I got a new falcon/revision board at BBuy. Premium with the forza2/marvel pack-in.

Good luck!

3. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

Ok thanks I'll try that and get back to you on what I see.I have a problem though... when I took my 360 back to the shop they replaced the 360 only so i did'nt get the box with it. Is there any way to tell what lot it is by looking at the console?

4. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

I don't think you can, but the production date is around the barcode on the unit itself I believe. If it's around 09/13/07 and higher, there's a good chance you got a revised board. But that's still not a guarentee. Best way is to shine a flashlight around the vent holes, with your eye up against the xbox and check if the heatsink has the horizontal fins, and the motherboard has 2 ring inductors laying flat, with one open area next to the 2, where a 3rd ring used to be. (but has been removed with the falcon updates.) If you're going to pop open the 360 to flash it or something, that makes it clear as day to check. (looking through the vent holes is hard and makes it kinda blurry) 8-/

5. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

is it really quieter than the old xbox 360? i thought all the xbox 360 are the same in terms of noise issue.

6. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

idk for sure, but I barely hear mine except when turning on the unit. Check the posts, alot of people have been giving props to the benq drives in terms of volume level. Could just be mass hysteria though... lol

7. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

Ok well im not sure whether I have the new mother board but I definately have the new heatsink. I found this video and it really helped me figure out whether I had it or not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8Sud08Qas