1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my PC worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tomdelany, Feb 4, 2008.

1. tomdelany

tomdelany Member

I have recently tried to revive my old PC as my laptop is now on the brink of destruction.

Specs
    CPU: Intel pentium 2.8 Ghz 800FSB
    Motheboard: Gigabyte 8ipe1000 I865pe
    Memory: Kingston 512mb DDR PC3200 RAM
    HD: 80 Gig Seagate HDD + 160 Gig Kingston HDD
    Graphics Card: Fx5600 256mb Video Card
    Case: Nokia ATX 400w Powersupply
    Optical drives: lite-on combo and pioneer dvd-rw but has very slow write speed

the story is, i recently reformatted the PC and now it is just unbelievably slow to load, it takes like 20 minutes to start up and enter windows. i was wondering what is wrong with it and is it worth fixing? I was hoping to upgrade the CPU and motherboard for this anyway.

If its not worth fixing is there any parts that are half decent i could use for this PC that i am currently looking at buying:

Specs
    # INTEL CORE2DUO E6750 (2.66Ghz) PROCESSSOR
    # GIGABYTE G31MX-S2 MOTHER BOARD
    # ONBOARD VIDEO
    # ONBOARD SOUND
    # 2GB DDR2 MEMORY
    # 160GB HARD DISK
    # LITE-ON DUAL LAYER DVDRW
    # 100/1000 LAN

Thanks

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

It shouldn't take 20 minutes to load (obviously). My older dell has about the same specs, and is about 6 years old and takes around 5 minutes to get completely done, from the push of the power button. (never reformatted).

I dont think you installed windows correctly, did you reformat the hard drive to NTFS? Try reformatting again.

3. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Check it is a blank formatted drive as Waymon suggested, as well as checking the BIOS config hasn't been lost (since you haven't used it in ages, the CMOS battery may be dead, thus loosing config) to ensure that any clock speed / multipliers haven't been reset to factory settings.

4. tomdelany

tomdelany Member

thanks guys, i tried to reformat it again but when i booted the installation disk from start up it is that slow it wont even load the setup for windows xp, lol. i think i might replace the motherboard and cpu or even just buy a new box altogether and try and salvage some parts off this PC. do you guys recommend a new PSU along with a new motherbaord and CPU, because its only 400watts and it hasnt been that reliable either.

thanks