1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my PS2 ready for the Junkyard?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ManiacZX9, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ManiacZX9

ManiacZX9 Member

I was soldering in a modchip in my v10 ps2. One of the little chips or capacitors or whatever they are would not let the solder stick to it. I guess I left the heat on too long and it lifted off the board.
    Specifically it was the "S" point on this diagram.
    http://www.modchip.ca/install/ps2/chipmod/chipmodimages/chipmod10.jpg

Is this fixable, or is it junk? What other mainboards will work, will a V9 work in my v10?

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Yeah..sorry to say it but you are pretty much screwed. I did, once apon a time - reattach a capacitor (the componant that came off) and rescued the console, but that was pure luck.

3. ManiacZX9

ManiacZX9 Member

can I run wires off of the solder points on the board where the capacitor was, to a new capacitor and just let it float instead of being attached neatly to the board? Where would I get such a small capacitor? Can you buy them or would I need a dead board and just remove one of the same size/color?
    Thanks.

4. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I tried that once, and I'm an electrical engineer of 4 years - didn't work.

The mb of the PS2 is too sensitive to replace componants - you either need to reattach the componant or buy a replacement system or mb.

If you are up to it, try a Walmart exchange. I used to do it once in a while, but can't afford the consequences anymore.

5. ManiacZX9

ManiacZX9 Member

haha, I'll pass on the Walmart trick, I threw out the warranty sticker anyways.
    I don't really understand why it wouldn't work if I just replaced the missing one with the same one off of a different board?
    What does "sensitive" mean? That it's picky on how the items (not sure what the item is called that I melted off) are attached?
    You have a far greater understanding of electrical than me, however I think I still might give it a try though (I'm in denial..hah). The board hasn't been powered up since I made my mistake.

On another note, does anyone know where I can buy a used or new V10 motherboard?

6. Flip_mode

Flip_mode Guest

I got banned for acting like a little punk :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  7. ManiacZX9

ManiacZX9 Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005