1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my qoob pro modchip broken?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by onetr1p, Mar 9, 2007.

1. onetr1p

onetr1p Member

I can't seem to get my modchip to work.

I have a qoob pro with gamecube dol-001(usa).

When I installed the chip I used a little too much solder on the IC legs and connect the F leg with the leg next to it. But I tried my best to removed the solder that joined them.

I then flashed the chip with the bios from qoobchip.com. LCD lights on and qoob bios works.

I adjusted the pot to ~180.

But I still get "cannot read disk error" I'm using Nero to burn on ritek g04's. I set it to burn at 1x but it automatically changes to 2x when it burns.

I am still able to play original games.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Did my soldering mistake ruin it?

2. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

even the smallest bit of solder left bridging the legs of the IC will cause it to not work. Although if your leds say that it IS working, my next guess would to use something else to burn your gcm files, something like imgburn. It could also be your pot, have you tried other settings?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Jumping legs on the F solder point may alter your GC's normal operation. Since your GC seems to be running ok and isn't doing anything funky, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. I'm willing to bet it's just the back-ups you're trying to play are bad.

Whenever I get "cannot read disc" errors on mine it's due to poor quality rips. I suggest you try a different game and see if you have better results.

4. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

you can also try running the image through fstfix

5. onetr1p

onetr1p Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get new games and try different settings for the pot.

6. onetr1p

onetr1p Member

The problem was my bios; I had the bios from qoobchip.com which doesn't play backups. So I loaded 1.3c.

Now sometimes the discs loads and sometimes then don't. But the color is black and white for the 2 games that I have. ( mario party 6 and super smash bros melee)

If it doesn't load, the disc stops spinning and I get three periods on the screen (...).

Does anyone know why I might be getting this error and why it's black and white?

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Try using 1.3a instead.

Also, there are a few reasons why it could be black and white. The main one being that you're playing games of the wrong region (PAL on NTSC). Go into the settings and change the video mode from default to NTSC for game and qoob. Keep in mind, that forcing the video mode won't work with every game, and that some games won't even boot if it's enabled. So the best thing you can do is to just stick with NTSC games.

The three periods means that it failed to read the disc and gave up. I used to get this on my old GameCube when the disc drive wore out.

8. onetr1p

onetr1p Member

It's working now, the problem was the region configuration, thanks.