1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Slim PS2 broken ? It's not opening anymore.. Turning on works thought.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tsukia, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tsukia

tsukia Member

Hi hi~

Firstly, My version is v12 slim PS2 with Apple 2x (very bad I know, I regret it), recent laser lens and I always used Verbatim CCM03 16x dvd-r (burning at half, 8x)

My PS2 isn't able to boot games anymore or even open itself on the tv. It's not the cables (basic yellow-red-white) or the tv itself since I've tried it on different ones.

Example: My TV is on Video 2 (Blue screen and no, I am not in the wrong Video.. tried on every one as well so it has to do with the ps2) and I turn on PS2 but there is no image appearing and there is no sound either. Even without any DVD inside the PS2, it just won't open to the ''Navigator / Options '' screen. Once I turn off the PS2, my TV Blue Video screen will jump and go back to what it already was, a blue screen. Nothing changes.

Usually when your PS2 is plugged and you put a game in (original or back up), it'll load it and act normally even if you haven't plugged the RCA/Video/Sound cable but now it doesn't. The laser will make it's usual loading noise for whenever you open the ps2 then nothing (with or out a dvd inside) and just to make it more clear, the controller's red button (Vibration) doesn't light up anymore (since it would whenever I wouldn't be able to see the image since the game was working as long as the PS2 was plugged).

It has nothing to do with the laser lens since I've had to buy a new one 75$ past summer because the old one (that came with the PS2 when I bought it) fried.

In resume, I can turn on and off my PS2 but there is no image appearing (has nothing to do with Video cable components) and it's not loading games anymore; it just feels dead.

Anyone know what could be causing the problem? I opened it and cleaned (air can, q-tips alcool on lens and so on) and I saw nothing unusual, broken or fried.

Thank you ~!

Edit: I forgot to mention that even if the lens was broken, the PS2 bios would still appear (Navigator, options etc..) and I could browse in my memory cards and be able to see the Disc Logo being unreadable but I am unable to do or see any of those. I am saying that because it has already happened to me a broken laser lens so it has nothing to do.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

TRY and clearify your point shorten the paragraph:
    does the GREEN light light up?
    I am not sure so does it show you the menu?
    If it does'nt then I am having the same problem.
    What do you mean by PS2 iSN'T ABLE TO OPEN IT SELF?

3. croy00

croy00 Member

When you plug your PS2 in does the power light atleast go red because you need to figure out if maybe just the transformer in your adapter is toasted try to use someone else's slim adapter with it.

4. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I just have this to say: trash your Version 12. You'll be getting quite a bit of fried lasers if you don't solder a laser fix in there. I say you should find a Version 13 slim if you want a slim(not 14 or 15 as those have some compatibility issues), or if you want to go old-style and get a fat, look for a Version 5-7, but DO NOT GET A VERSION 9, 10, or 12. I believe though that the modchip installation might have been messed up and messed up your system. I know my modchip(DMS4 SE Lite) has caused me a really worrying annomally, where the disc spins, slows down, nothing responds, then I open the lid to find the laser reading a stationary disc(only for DVD-ROM games)! Worst of all, when I press and hold the power button, the console REMAINS ON! THE LIGHT WON'T BECOME RED! The only way to shut it off is to unplug the power supply(it's done that to me 6 times). Looks we both might have some modchip problems.