1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my system ready to burn dvds?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dipset121, Apr 12, 2005.

1. dipset121

dipset121 Regular member

I recently purchased a Maxtor 200GB 7200 RPM internal hard drive which was a upgrade from my current hard drive which was only 10gb I also purchased a Memorex® 16x max dual format double layer internal DVD drive and an additional 256mb ram card to give me 512mb on my pc my question is with my processor speed being only a Intel Celeron Processor with 495 mhz with windows XP being the operating system I’m running and my other additions to my pc will I be able to burn dvds efficiently with the system I have??? If not are there any suggestions to what parts or pieces I need to upgrade??? Lastly is Memorex dvd-r/+r media compatible with burning dvds??? At realiable success level or should I try another type of media???

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I'll take the easy part first: most of members here are not enamoured with Memorex media.
    Primarily because the Memorex label is merely the end product of several different media producers, some good, most bad, well so the story says'.

Now the jump from 10 gig to 200 gig with a Celeron 495 mhz, plus 256 RAM to 512mb RAM.
    Make me wonder if you've taken a step to far?

best of burning gringle

3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

um if you do burn a dvd with that sepcs that will be a record cause 456mhz celeron scares me cause my mom has a 2.3ghz celron and its slow buy a new pc if ya can or a cheap 300$dell and stick the stuff u bought in it hard drive is nice and would rock in a new pc

4. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

You may well be ready to burn DVD's with your systems specs. However with the specs you have you may want to burn at very low speeds e.g 1x. Also you may like to change your media for an alternative as Memorex media may result in a few burn problems. However there people who swear by it.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

While you may meet the OS, Memeory and HD space you probably do not meet
    the CPU requirements. I don't know Memorex spec's but one of my burners is a Pioneer 16x dual layer and format and the minimum requirement is 800MHz. You if don't meet that you will have some problems burning dvd's.

6. dasha74

dasha74 Member

I started out with a AMD 450MHz CPU on an ASUS P5A MB,Windows XP Pro, 384MB SDRAM (PC100), 40GB HDD, LG GSA-4120B DL DVD Burner and had no problems at all backing up PS2 games or movies, just slow, about 2 to 3 hours all up. I have since upgraded to AMD Duron 750MHz and a MSI-6378 MB (off ebay for under $100 AUD) and backup time is down to under an hour. I use fairly cheap DVD blanks - $30 AUD for tub of 50 - I threw the label off the tub out so I cant remember what brand but DVDInfo says CMC MAG. AF1 as media code/manufacturer - but when I got a second tub they were supposed to be the same, but DVDInfo says TYG02 and they are not as good - ok for movies but went through 4 trying to backup NFSU2 before buying a Ritek and it worked fine.Hope thats of some help.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would look into the capabilities of your mobo and upgrade to a faster cpu if posible. Everything else should suffice as far as specs. Maybe a little overkill for that slow of processor. My old 1.3ghz machine worked fine with 512 ram but was pretty slow.

I recommend (and most here do too) that you avoid memorex media. You're only buying the name as they do not make any of their own media and you never know what you're getting from batch to batch. Do a search for memorex and you'll see what I mean.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I used to use a 900 MHz Celeron to burn, no problems at all, just took a pretty long time. Then I had a 600 MHz Centrino in a laptop, still took forever, but still worked. I think you will get DVD's to burn, but they might have more errors than faster CPU's will. And it'll take forever.

9. Arkion

Arkion Member

Memorex from my testing fails in burn phase more than other brands; about every 8th dvd. I myself switched to Fugi and have yet to fail, 50 successfull dvds with fugi.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Best media IMO anyway.

Verbatum DataLifePlus
    Taiyo Yuden
    Maxell
    Fuji
    Ricohjpn
    Sony
    TDK
    Branded Ritek Ridata

11. dasha74

dasha74 Member

Just for reference on speed/time to backup, 1.6GB - 9 min. 30sec. and 3.6GB - 20 min (ISO read and ISO write total time) with DVD Decrypter v3.5.2.0 @ 4x write onto TYG02 media, working fine