1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Pc totally broke or just a new power supply needed?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sandisk, Feb 28, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guy's, a question here that probably has a simple answer but I don't know the answer :)

Mate of mine rang me awhile ago and said he moved a switch at the back of his pc while it was running and it just knocked off and now it won't start up again.

I don't know what make or model his pc is as I only briefly talked to him on the phone but I gather it was the "voltage" switch that he moved while the pc was on.

Would a new power supply be sufficient to get his pc working again? Or is the pc trash ?

By the way, I havn't a clue why he moved the switch lol

Thanks
    Sandisk

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

yep new power supply
    unless its like a windows 2000 then youll need a new one

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I think he was actually running windows 98 or yeah maybe even win 2k ?

Does this mean the pc is useless? or would it be worth spending the few quid on a powers suply to try ?

Thanks
    Sandisk

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sandisk, you are in the uk that uses 220v, correct? if so than when your friend switched the voltage selector to 110v from 220v, he sent 220v thru the psu which is now supposed to get 110v & fried it. hopefully that was all he fried.

5. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

Well yes I'm in Ireland so i guess we use the same psu's as the uk :)

Yes ddp, I remember you telling me something about this switch before, as in what countries use which voltage.

So as you said, we know he blasted the psu. In your opinion/experience is more than the psu usually fried ? Or is it worth spending the 30 quid or so getting a new psu?

Thanks
    Sandisk

6. ddp

most likely fried & hopefully just the psu. learned that the hard way with a customer who never paid me for the work i did for him. not my fault somebody wired his electric baseboard heaters with 110v wiring instead of 220v wiring. was using 1 circuit of his electric baseboard heaters to be replaced with receptecals to allow more decices be plugged into instead of just 1 receptecal. ended up blowing a psu in his computer tower & blowing a chip in his printer but not the printer's power adapter.

7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I see.

Well God knows what my mate was doing at that switch in the first place lol.

He's not really into pc's in a big way, just for the kids and a bit of typing and when I asked "why did you press the switch", he said he was curious what it was for lol. I'll tell him to leave it in and try a psu and hopefully it works.

Thanks for the reply's.

Sandisk

8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Just an update on this.

Today I bought a power supply unit and took the old one out and put the new one in.

When I pressed the power button on the unit a light came on, then I pressed the "on" button on the pc and the cpu fan start spinning and then a few lights came on on the front of the pc so I thought great.

Nothing appeared on the monitor and then I heard a little clicking noise and the fan stopped spinning and then I smelt a slight burning smell.

Pc done for ?

Thanks
    Sandisk

9. ddp

appears to be. try powering motherboard & videocard, no drives attached at all. try to locate the burnt smell.

10. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Yeah I just tried turning on the power supply when just attached to the mobo and there doesn't seem to be any power going there at all.

So this means the motherboard is gone ?

This system is a good few years old, I don't really know how many but it's a few years old, so would the hardware inside that pc be still of use, as in the 40gb hd, cd burner, RAM ect...

The make of the pc seems to be "Jaguar systems", so would it be worth getting a new motherboard or better off just dumping the pc and buying a new one?

Thanks
    Sandisk

11. ddp

get a new system as can't guarrantee old parts are not damaged.

12. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Grand, thanks for that help out.

Shame it's gone to waste as it loks like an ok pc! Why the hell was he at that "tiny" switch at the back while the pc was running :-|

Thanks for the reply's
    Sandisk

13. ddp

hopefully he has learned an expensive lesson

14. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I'd say he has learned. A couple months back he had another pc, again this was pc he had was old, much older than this current one. Kids used it for "learning software" and other stuff. He came home one day and Windows was totally wiped off the pc and he was getting a "cmos battery has failed" when pc booted up. The cmos must have been built into the mobo because there was no battery on the mobo.

As I said, that pc was ancient lol, and I'd say he has learned his lesson, 2 pc's broke within a couple/few months.

Thanks for the dig out on this.

Sandisk

15. ddp

the battery on that pc is a black rectangular block on pins. probably a dallas ds12887a

16. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for that info ddp but that pc has been dumped.

Can I just ask, the hardware from the fried pc, could some of this be added to a different pc as in the 40gb hd and maybe the RAM or would they more than likely be fried or malfunctioned too?

Thanks
    Sandisk

17. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

Couldn't hurt to try out individual parts. But most likely anything that was attached to that PSU when your friend juiced it is probably finished.

18. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the info!

Sandisk

19. ddp

didn't i say that in this "get a new system as can't guarrantee old parts are not damaged."

20. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

You did ddp, sorry my mistake.

Sandisk